Alligt & Grin cargobike wheel collaboration

Status
Not open for further replies.

muuankarski

1 µW
Interesting collaboration

From leva-eu.com: New lightweight wheel for heavyweight cargocycles

LEVA-EU Member Alligt introduce their third 20″ wheel, CBW3 (Cargo Bike Wheel 3), made of high quality plastic with fiberglass. It is designed for the heavier multitrack cargocycles up to 600 kg with 4 wheels. After some further testing, Alligt is hoping to release it for a static load of 150 kg per wheel and for assistance up to 25 km/h. The weight of the plastic part of the wheel is 1.4 kg, the weight of motor plus wheel is around 5 kg.

The first motor, which has been specifically adapted for this wheel has been produced by the Canadian company Grin Technologies. The details for the motor attachment were developed in consultation with GRIN. Alligt want to further cooperate with GRIN with a view to facilitating future lightweight cargovehicles together and adapting wheel and motor to future market demand.

cargobike-wheels.com

Ooo, perfect for a skid steer couch.

ebike4healthandfitness said:
Do like.....but really waiting on these coming with tubeless moped/scooter/motorcycle rims.

Not into rolling efficiency? Want a lot of unnecessary weight for ballast? Or maybe you prefer tires to be really hard to remove?

Chalo said:
Do like.....but really waiting on these coming with tubeless moped/scooter/motorcycle rims.

Not into rolling efficiency? Want a lot of unnecessary weight for ballast? Or maybe you prefer tires to be really hard to remove?

They are hard to remove but it is irrelevant when plugging a puncture in the tread area is so easy and they last so long.

The rims they are showing on their website is sized ETRTO 27-406, which I believe is normal BMX-sized 20 inch bicycle tires. Makes sense for a cargo bicycle.

Since they are injected molded fiber reinforced plastic (probably nylon?) I am sure you could go tubeless if you wanted to. No spoke holes to deal with.

Good for Grin. I hope they sell a billion of them.

sleepy_tired said:
The rims they are showing on their website is sized ETRTO 27-406, which I believe is normal BMX-sized 20 inch bicycle tires. Makes sense for a cargo bicycle.

Same bead seat diameter as 16" moped or motorcycle wheels. Probably doesn't feature the wide bead seating land for tubeless tires, though, and thus might require a "ghetto tubeless" setup to fatten up the bead seat.

SlowCo said:

I would guess these rims are for tubeless moped tires.

That (tubeless moped/scooter/motorcycle) is the only thing that makes sense for a mission critical cargo bike.

Too bad they used rims made for tubed bicycle and moped tires instead.

Motorcycle wheels are not a practical solution for ebikes. Too heavy, and designed for much higher riding weight. It is like fitting tractor tires to a pickup truck: the result is poor handling and efficiency, enough to turn a pickup truck into a slow mud buggy. The performance cost of heavy wheels is high in terms of braking distance, acceleration, and maneuverability.

Moped tires are not bad for size and weight, but very few are available soft gum.

The smaller the wheel size, the less inconvenience will result from heavier tires. A 10 inch scooter wheel does pretty good with a radial motorcycle tire. It does make a handling delay and efficiency loss, but not so much a turnoff in braking and acceleration performance.

That (tubeless moped/scooter/motorcycle) is the only thing that makes sense for a mission critical cargo bike.

I make pedicabs that carry six passengers but have bicycle rims and tires. The riders who use these trikes to make their living could use motorcycle wheels instead-- it has been done before-- but they don't because those parts are slow, heavy, and difficult to service. They don't use tubeless either.

A few pedicabs (Cycles Maximus) came with rear 19" moped rims and tires originally, but all the ones I'm aware of have since been changed over to 24" bicycle parts because they do the job better.

Try talking about something you understand instead of things that you don't.

sleepy_tired said:
So whether or not it's designed for moped wheels is the rim bead profile?

Yes, but there are tube tire and tubeless tire moped rims that are different from each other. You can fit bicycle tires on moped rims and vice versa, but they won't necessarily behave like the intended tires would.

Bicycle rims have bead hooks to help retain bicycle tires under high pressure. Moto rims don't have this feature, and the fat beads of moto tires wouldn't interlock correctly with a bicycle rim's bead hook anyway.

clincher-1559683218.jpg

Moto rims, even those intended for use with tubes, have no bead hooks but do have more pronounced lands or "shelves" for the tire bead to locate on.

51lyO2VCmgL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Tubeless moto rims have a relatively wide, tight fitting margin along either edge for the bead of a tubeless tire to seal on. This is why you have to employ tools or violence to release a deflated tubeless moto tire from its rim.

Chalo said:

A few pedicabs (Cycles Maximus) came with rear 19" moped rims and tires originally, but all the ones I'm aware of have since been changed over to 24" bicycle parts because they do the job better.

I just checked their website (because I know what you are saying is bogus) and sure enough they list 17" rims with 2.25" moped strength tires..... not bicycle rims and tires (which would have just been embarrassing).

Chalo said:

I just checked their website (because I know what you are saying is bogus) and sure enough they list 17" rims with 2.25" moped strength tires..... not bicycle rims and tires (which would have just been embarrassing).

Right. I'm telling you all the professional users I know have switched over, because 24" BMX parts work better. They're not doing it because it entertains them. They're doing it because they use their trikes to make money, and moto parts are a waste of time and a money loser.

You've both had a chance to state your case. The readers can now decide which tires suit their application.

I have two ebikes. One has a rear moped tire, and the other has bicycle tires. To each their own.

On goathead thorns, the moped tire is more flat-resistant. The aluminum-framed cruiser with mid drive is fairly light, and the bicycle rims/tires are just one small part of keeping it light.

They have proven to work well so far in this location. There is no single "best" for everyone. Life is short, use the tires that you want. Plus, tires wear out, so...when they need replacement, try something that you are curious about.

Thorns1.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
You've both had a chance to state your case. The readers can now decide which tires suit their application.

The readers should keep in mind that one opinion is informed by long experience, and the other isn't.

Chalo said:
Chalo said:

Right. I'm telling you all the professional users I know have switched over, because 24" BMX parts work better. They're not doing it because it entertains them. They're doing it because they use their trikes to make money, and moto parts are a waste of time and a money loser.

Who is using 24" bmx tires on a six passenger pedi-cab trike? I don't believe this is true.

Chalo said:
Chalo said:

Who is using 24" bmx tires on a six passenger pedi-cab trike? I don't believe this is true.

Cycles Maximus doesn't make a six top. Theirs are single bench cabs, meaning two to four passengers in typical cases. Everyone I know who uses a Cycles Maximus or one of the many Chinese clones of one uses 24" BMX wheels and tires. There are probably 150 of them altogether in Austin (mostly Chinese clones).

The six passenger cabs use mostly Maxxis Hookworm in 26 x 2.5" or 29 x 2.5", or Origin8 Supercell 26 x 4.0". Lately everything is out of stock and they use whatever's available.

24" freestyle tires are often rated for 110 psi. Moped tires? Not so much.

Chalo said:
Everyone I know who uses a Cycles Maximus or one of the many Chinese clones of one uses 24" BMX wheels and tires.
Lately everything is out of stock and they use whatever's available.
H'mmmm .... thanks for the warning. I am going to need a 24 inch tire so I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DQ87YD

but of course I do not need 110 PSI :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back