[OPEN PROJECT] Airports in Norway

ChrixFlyer

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have finished ENSM Starmoen. The problem is, in the Gateway database, it is still called, ENHN Hornmoen, as it was before. How do I correct that?

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starmoen_flyplass,_Elverum

https://www.greatcirclemapper.net/en/airport/ENHN-elverum-starmoen-airport.html

http://www.efk.no/mikro/starmoen-ensm/

... messy, isn't it? I have been flying several times to Starmoen. Some years ago we even had an ultralight championship there. The place is a Norwegian center for gliders and, previously, a military base. 

If I try to change the metadata for that place, I am sure something will go wrong. So, to whom do I have to talk? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Michel Verheughe said:

I have finished ENSM Starmoen. The problem is, in the Gateway database, it is still called, ENHN Hornmoen, as it was before. How do I correct that?

... messy, isn't it? I have been flying several times to Starmoen. Some years ago we even had an ultralight championship there. The place is a Norwegian center for gliders and, previously, a military base. 

If I try to change the metadata for that place, I am sure something will go wrong. So, to whom do I have to talk? Thanks in advance.

File a bug on the Scenery Gateway!

Cheers, Jan

1 hour ago, Michel Verheughe said:

I didn't know you also have started on Starmoen (ENSM). I yield to you since you surely know the airfield far better than me. 🙂

In fact I "stumbled" across this scenery duplicate while updating the airport list for this Gateway project. A first attempt yesterday with a "scenery removal request" (for ENHN) was rejected ("still visible")... hopefully the current bug report has more success...

In the meanwhile I checked out Haslemoen flyplass (ID: EN10).

4 hours ago, ChrixFlyer said:

I didn't know you also have started on Starmoen (ENSM). I yield to you since you surely know the airfield far better than me. 🙂

In fact I "stumbled" across this scenery duplicate while updating the airport list for this Gateway project. A first attempt yesterday with a "scenery removal request" (for ENHN) was rejected ("still visible")... hopefully the current bug report has more success...

In the meanwhile I checked out Haslemoen flyplass (ID: EN10).

Gosh, I am so sorry, Chris. I got it all mixed up. You understand now why my doctor doesn't want to renew my pilot license. 

What do we do now? Do you want me to send you my files? You can then evaluate it and see what is the best. To me, it is not important who uploads it, only that Norway looks good in the X-Plane download ... a bit of national pride, you know! 😉 What should we do?

Now that I have renamed my work as it is now, ENSM Starmoen, instead of ENHN Hornmoen, it gets all messed up! I get my runway (long and narrow, as it is in reality) and the old one (ENHN) from X-Plane, on the top of each other. What are we to do? Ask Julian to delete ENHN ... but then, when will it be deleted in X-Plane 11.30? Or use my data to ENHN ... or ... any other idea? Here is how it looks now; the extra-wide runway being the unrealistic old ENHN one, mine being the thin but longer one.ENSM.png.e958f90c572564d1ab1712d75f96392c.png

Yes, this is normal behaviour. X-Plane thinks those are two different airports and will show you both.

Until the next update to X-Plane, the old airport will still show.

If you want to NOT see the old airport, just make a "dummy" ENHN that just has one single invisible runway, nothing else. Save the airport to YOUR COMPUTER ONLY. I repeat - do NOT UPLOAD THAT DUMMY AIRPORT TO THE SCENERY GATEWAY! I hope this was clear enough. 😂

Now the file on your local computer will "suppress" the old global airport ENHN, so it will not show.

Cheers, Jan

@Michel VerheugheMichael Minnhaar replied to my bug report yesterday. According to his reply, please do the following: open your scenery package for Starmoen flyplass, and change the following items in the meta data - airport ID ENHN, scenery ID 14869, ICAO code ENSM. This will replace the old scenery (Hornmoen) with the new scenery (Starmoen). It will also show up as ENSM Starmoen. Important: don't forget to reference to www.world-airport-codes.com/norway/elverum-starmoen-63208.html when uploading your scenery. 🙂

Thank you, Chris and Jan. I woke up, tonight and, suddenly I understood what went wrong! (yes, old men work in mysterious ways!) 😉 What happened is this:

Chris downloaded ENSM Starmoen and I downloaded ENHN Hornmoen. Knowing that ENHN is now ENSM, I worked on it as such, changing the metadata for the name and ICAO code. Yes, it was stupid!

But I didn't upload anything! The question now is, what is best to do? If Chris has made a good job then we keep that as ENSM Starmoen and I delete my work. If Chris wants it, I can send him an email with my work and he can judge which scenery is best, eventually picking elements from both. 

From my real-life flying twice to Starmoen, I can say this: The airfield is very special in that it has a very long yet old runway, next to a gigantic grass field that is used by gliders. it is bordered by a golf course and a circular race course that are very distinct as seen from an aircraft. I thought we could simulate something there with different coloured ground textures but I am not sure.

What should we do to make a good work of this?

PS: At 10 sec after start, you can see me at Starmoen on my YouTube video: 

@Michel VerheugheTo be honest, there's not really something from my side to upload for Starmoen (ENSM). My current "scenery" for it consists of the runway (which you maybe saw on my bug report on the Gateway), nothing else, and I don't see a reason to "compete" with your scenery. 😉

Since you downloaded the scenery package for ENHN and changed it to be ENSM, you already did what Michael suggested to me (see above). And regarding ENSM: there's nothing to download for it (scenery history is still empty). 😉

Regarding the race course & golf course: remember that both are essentially no part of the airfield itself, and will therefore most likely be outside of the airport boundary (which in return will mean a potential conflict with autogen after the next scenery recut). If you are unsure, you can still upload the scenery as it is now and modify it at a later stage. I think it's important to have an up-to-date scenery for Starmoen itself. 🙂

Thank you so much, Chris. I have now uploaded ENSM. 

Then I took the short flight from Starmoen to Kjeller, which is the GA airport for Oslo: ENKJ ... and there, what a surprise! 

The Gateway tells me that it is an old 2D airport. We must fix it. Do you want to do it, Chris? If not, I will reserve it myself. Or, if you want, we can look at it together. Here is a screenshot of the present ENKJ: Not good!

Kjeller.png.c54def56b465ca80d50e24e03778054f.png

@Michel VerheugheOh, now I'm afraid you created a mess... I thought you would upload a revised scenery for ENHN (with ICAO code ENSM in its meta tag)??

Now you'll have both airports, ENSM & ENHN!

Remember that the ENHN scenery will not be deleted from the Gateway, this has been made clear to me (scenery removal request rejected). 🤔

Only way to fix this now is to upload a scenery for ENHN, too, with no aprons etc, just one transparent runway (as suggested by Jan above).

20 minutes ago, ChrixFlyer said:

@Michel VerheugheOh, now I'm afraid you created a mess... I thought you would upload a revised scenery for ENHN (with ICAO code ENSM in its meta tag)??

Now you'll have both airports, ENSM & ENHN!

Remember that the ENHN scenery will not be deleted from the Gateway, this has been made clear to me (scenery removal request rejected). 🤔

Only way to fix this now is to upload a scenery for ENHN, too, with no aprons etc, just one transparent runway (as suggested by Jan above).

Er... this is what I did, Chris, as of your instruction for  airport ID ENHN, scenery ID 14869, ICAO code ENSM coming from Michael Minnhaar. 

You are talking about the data that is to be uploaded to the Gateway, right? Not what is on my computer because that is not important. What do I do next? Should I, now, upload again ENHN with no apron and transparent runway? Now I feel completely lost.

The question here is, why does the scenery package show up under "ENSM Starmoen" on the Scenery Gateway site? I would expect it to show up under "ENHN Hornmoen", which would become "ENHN Starmoen" (showing up as "ENSM Starmoen" in XP due to the new ICAO code tag) when the scenery package gets approved. Something is weird here... 🤔

Michel, is it possible for you to download the scenery package for ENHN from the Gateway (see screenshot below) and edit this one to include the changes you did for ENSM (including

ICAO code tag ENSM)?

scenery_selection.jpg.b0c45de223709398d86142db271efda2.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrixFlyer said:

Michel, is it possible for you to download the scenery package for ENHN from the Gateway (see screenshot below) and edit this one to include the changes you did for ENSM (including ICAO code tag ENSM)?

I did it, Chris. To make sure I understand you: I went in WED, Import from Airport Scenery Gateway then selected ENHN. After that, I went to Import apt,dat and selected ENSM. Then the same for Import DSF. Of course it created a second airport under ENHN in the hierarchy list but I moved all elements of ENSM to ENHN and deleted the airport ENSM In WED. Last I went to the meta data for ENHN and wrote ENSM as the ICAO code.

Can you confirm that I did it right before I upload it to the Gateway?

Sorry, Chris, but last spring, after flying some traffic patterns with my Kitfox, I realized that I forgot to do a pre-flight, checking engine oil, etc. It was the day I decided that I have become too old to fly a real aircraft and I decided to sell it. I am sure I will keep on making mistakes in X-Plane too but ... with a little help of my friends! 😉

Okay, I have uploaded ENHN and reserved ENKJ.

Incidentally, where are you from, Chris?

About ENKJ KJeller, I have this story for you: In 2012, returning south from Bodø (see above video) I spent the night in Tynset when I started flying home, to Tønsberg/Jarlsberg. Noting a stronger headwind than expected, I decided to land and refuel at Kjeller because it was the only refueling point before destination and I don't like to fly with only a couple of liters in the tanks. After refueling, I decided to call the aviation met office by phone and I was told: "We have just seen a low pressure building up over north Denmark. We don't know if it is heading for Sweden or the Oslo fjord. Call us back in half an hour!"

... which I did, having a cup of coffee in the club house. Half an hour later, I was told: "Okay, you're the guy who flies to Jarlsberg, well, if you take off now, you will reach it before the bad weather arrives but then, you must take off at once!"

And that is my story to all of those who complain about poor weather forecast. The met office does the best it can but forecasting will never be something accurate; there are too many variables. This is the nature of the famous "Butterfly Principle," the base of the Chaos Theory.

Airport list updated. 😉

I'm from Germany. My (until now) first and only visit to Norway was several years ago during a coach tour through southern Sweden (Gothenburg to Stockholm), Finland (from Helsinki straight northwards), and finally Norway (North Cape to Oslo), which I enjoyed very much.

True, never blind trust any weather forecast. 😀

4 hours ago, ChrixFlyer said:

I'm from Germany.

Ah, Germany! Here I am on final for 29 at Würzburg.

Wurzburg.jpg.aa7f41f2be411f7d74ce876d710f330a.jpg

Then in 2012, we were 8 Norwegian ultralights on visiting the Aero exhibition at Friedrichshafen and stayed nearby at Markdorf:

Markdorf.jpg.f281457ab34a5937c466808c3f5528be.jpg

I also went, in 2007 to visit a friend in Paderborn. From there, I should have been further to Switzerland, to meet French X-Planers who had invited Austin Meyer but the weather wasn't good enough over South Germany. Flying VFR only, you know!

Paderborn.jpg.6575e14e43540bedf5d39ed5ccff85ad.jpg

What I remember from flying Germany: a lot of E class airspace, a lot of small glider airfields, friendly people and ... great beer! 😉

22 minutes ago, Michel Verheughe said:

... great beer! 😉

See - your memory isn´t that bad! 👍😉🍺

Cheers, Jan

2 hours ago, ChrixFlyer said:

Started work on Kongsvinger flyplass (ID: EN13).

I remember it as Pheonix Mikroflyplass, as for ultralight aircraft. Flew over it a couple of times, following the Glomma valley but never landed. I think today it is only GA aviation. Let me know if you'd like me to enquire.

4 hours ago, Michel Verheughe said:

I remember it as Pheonix Mikroflyplass, as for ultralight aircraft. Flew over it a couple of times, following the Glomma valley but never landed. I think today it is only GA aviation. Let me know if you'd like me to enquire.

It's still used by Phoenix Mikroflyklubben (http://www.phoenix-mikroflyklubb.no/flyplasser/kongsvinger-flyplass/). It's a quite simple 770 m x 15 m grass strip, with a small hangar near THR runway 16. The scenery is completed & ready to be uploaded, however, I get "error 400 - non-supported WED version" with 1.7.2. Possibly this is related to an upcoming WED upgrade (to version 2.0.0).

EN13_Kongsvinger_screenshot.thumb.jpg.b62e5224f9959a46b60e8ba6f095743e.jpg

Archived