Assortment of Canada and Greenland airports

anthony_d

So one of my guilty pleasures is running flights using FS Economy.  The usual deal is that I purchase a really cheap plane somewhere in the world, fly it home to Aberdeen, sell it for a profit, rinse and repeat until such time that I can actually afford an airliner. 

The game sends me to various random airports, and often I land upon a 2D rendered Wedbot airport.  At which point I indulge in a little upgrade.

So first up is CYYU Kapuskasing in Ontario

CYYU.thumb.jpg.a7b37bfaa29106f764ecf788fef5eda5.jpg

CYYU2.thumb.jpg.8067dee8e33c6f681a745b71d58ccdb9.jpg

It's a small place, and one noteworthy feature is that it's home to the General Motors cold weather development centre.  

Next up was CYXP Pangnirtung on Baffin Island.  A gravel strip, but one that sees regular services

CYXP.thumb.jpg.77ea118d4c3536d3f0987bc15e222a9a.jpg

Further north, just off Baffin Island is CYVM Qikiqtarjuaq.  There's not much here, but indeed there is a Dash8-100 service linking this place with the rest of Canada.  This is the closest Canadian airport to Greenland, so that's probably a good reason to visit this place.

CYVM.thumb.jpg.b81310d9067ad1cd925384a671aa93ea.jpg

So next we have BGJN, Ilulissat/Jakobshavn.  The original wedbot was 1km further to the west.  Completely the wrong place.  This is quite a slopey place, but it's perfectly serviceable.  Hopefully the next DSF recut will flatten it somewhat.

BGJN.thumb.jpg.3cdeb04bfc2bdfad41456fdd41e1e6ba.jpg

Finally we have BGSS Sisimiut.  

BGSS.thumb.jpg.60d8bdc33b365e268dae15e0d180675c.jpg

So that's it for now.  A set of small, but perfectly formed airports to populate the X-Plane world with.

• Like 4

Great work, it's always a nice surprise when you fly into a small, remote airfield that has 3D scenery.

Very nice! An interesting way to bring the spotlight to unaltered airports. Fantastic idea.

This brings back a memory from one of the long nights on the flightdeck of our 747´s when coming back from North America. I would check out the approach charts and aerodrome layouts of those remote airports underneath, hoping that I would never be forced to wrestle a 747 into Narssasuaq or Kulusuk. Well, with a solid fire on board, it could become necessary. Some of our planes had to acually go into Kangerlussuaq with a sick passenger or so - we used to practice that in the simulator.

One night everyone was droning along trying to stay awake when there was someone on the inter-pilot frequency asking for a relay to Shanwick radio for a position report. One of the US guys obliged, and we all woke up a bit when his position read something like 65N 32W 5000 feet at.... The guy relaying asked back if 5000 feet was actually correct and asked for the type of aircraft. It was a small single engine prop, and the pilot explained that he was ferrying it to Europe. Had to do it at night so he could land in the morning light in Iceland. A bit of silence, and then the U.S. pilot said "You gotta have b*lls the size of grapefruit" 😂

Thanks for doing those airports, Anthony!

Cheers, Jan

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Janov said:

A bit of silence, and then the U.S. pilot said "You gotta have b*lls the size of grapefruit"

Yes they do!  I've done the Goose Bay to Narsassuaq crossing in the simulator.  600 Miles?  Easy right?  Well in the simulator it's easy.  In real life I'm guessing Narssauaq is one of those places where the weather turns bad very quickly and the alternate airports are beyond a practical distance to reach on ferry fuel.  And I guess it's game over if you have to ditch in the middle of the Labrador sea because your pistons have died on you.

I've done the helicopter ditching offshore survival course, and the prospect of a ditching in the North Sea is bad enough.  Labrador Sea however - how many rescue helicopters have a 600 mile round trip range?  How much marine traffic is sailing by to pick you up from your liferaft?  I think it's game over if you ditch a plane in the Labrador Sea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrixFlyer said:

Any chance for looking at Nuuk (BGGH), as well? 🙂 That one is certainly missing as proper 3D scenery in X-Plane...

I think I'll pass on that one.  While I agree with your sentiment, my general stance is to address airports that haven't received any attention at all.

• Like 1

I'm new to X-plane in the last month. I've flown (real world) into all these Arctic places (not Kap though) with a King Air 90 & 200..... Are these airports have you have created them or are they regular ones that come with X-plane? I did medivacs out of Iqaluit about 20+ years ago with the 200 and it seemed every Friday or Saturday night there's be one to Pang. Pang was really interesting going up that one way fiord when it was almost dark.A bright moon was sure welcome.

2 hours ago, dbw1 said:

I'm new to X-plane in the last month. I've flown (real world) into all these Arctic places (not Kap though) with a King Air 90 & 200..... Are these airports have you have created them or are they regular ones that come with X-plane? I did medivacs out of Iqaluit about 20+ years ago with the 200 and it seemed every Friday or Saturday night there's be one to Pang. Pang was really interesting going up that one way fiord when it was almost dark.A bright moon was sure welcome.

He is creating them for the gateway, which means they will most likely (once approved) become part of X-Plane, but they aren't in the version you have installed just yet. If you wanted to experience them before they get incorporated into the next release, you'll have to download them from the gateway. Definitely a worth-while effort if you want to experience them immediately.

Julian hasn't had a chance to review them just yet, they are all in the "accepted" phase, which basically means they've been uploaded and the admins have acknowledged them, but have not reviewed them yet for flaws before approval / rejection. You can download accepted airports, but they are basically as-is with no guarantee to quality or likeness. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about that with Anthony's works, they're consistently good.

• Like 1