Anyone interested in making some Airstrips in Papua New Guinea?

On 5/9/2020 at 2:31 AM, marpilot said:

Here you have the best scenery pack to fly like Susi Air :)

This scenery package does contain PNG air strips. Here's a pic just before a (very) hard landing at WEWAK WT66. The scenery is pretty nice as is or a good place to start for an update maybe. 

Quest_Kodiak-LR_G1000 - 2020-06-03 21.34.08.jpg

Quest_Kodiak-LR_G1000 - 2020-06-04 09.54.23.jpg

Edited by Bob2010
additional image
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, Missionary Bush Pilot said:

I know there is a short list of airports someone has made on https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/worldeditor/ for Papua New Guinea, but I was wondering if any guru's out there would like to make some bush locations?  I can send you the details of the airstrips if you are interested.  

the reason I ask is because I would like to share some of these airstrips with my YouTube viewers.  I fly the Kodiak in PNG and  make flight vlogs, and I thought it would be fun if my viewers could fly the same routes I fly.  Let me know.

Ryan

Hey Ryan, just saw my first views of your flights tonite and I instantly looked for a Caravan...all I had was a PC12...but boy was it fun...and your vids...top rate!....I'd love to give some of your strips a go!...I did more than more than several Ortho4XP tiles of New Guinea...but I cant find them right now...BTW for reference,  My 1A6 Bell County MiddlesBoro KY Airport is now part of Xplane 11, if you'd like to check.

..check out my tests over my home creation here on "Stinking Creek "K69" as I test out LBD over our farm in Flatlick KY....btw...would you mind trying out my "LilBlueDonuts" and telling me if its worthwhile and how I can make it better?

Be Well and look forward to working with you!.

Chas

On 5/9/2020 at 12:34 AM, Missionary Bush Pilot said:

I know there is a short list of airports someone has made on https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/worldeditor/ for Papua New Guinea, but I was wondering if any guru's out there would like to make some bush locations?  I can send you the details of the airstrips if you are interested.  

the reason I ask is because I would like to share some of these airstrips with my YouTube viewers.  I fly the Kodiak in PNG and  make flight vlogs, and I thought it would be fun if my viewers could fly the same routes I fly.  Let me know.

Ryan

Nice to see you on here Ryan. hope you're well loved the VLog this afternoon

keep safe and the props turning

On 5/10/2020 at 11:54 PM, Flyfarthers said:

I watch all of Ryan's video's and it would be awesome if someone could do the landing areas that Ryan fly's to so we can have some fun at home too .

Also sorry , off topic Ryan , but do you have the Thranda Kodiak ? If you do , what do you think of it ? I am learning to fly it watching your vids and I bought the Kodiak for Xplane 11 after seeing your vids  .

😉

you and me both.. the thing that i enjoy most about Ryans videos is he shows all his checklist flows and his thought process throughout the flight which governs his decision making.. not to mention the maker for go/no go being the man with the big belly is stuff of legends lol

4 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

@skycycle, thanks for the above.  Fane Mission is a great challenging airstrip!  Your XP9 version works in XP11 but with some obvious issues.  Would be great if you or someone else could update it for XP11 and include it on the Org.  Cheers.

The strip does have a few problems on top of some basic ortho tiles :)but given it's build date I would expect some subsidence to have occured :)

Kev

Fane2.thumb.jpg.64c2a7d6427b08cdfa24843a61a7307d.jpg

Fane1.thumb.jpg.82bf52c29a2ae5cc82e0f33cea1e311e.jpg

3 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

I was hoping to do a list of grass/gravel, bush airstrips in PNG - of which there are very many - for people to try these great challenges.  Often they are short, sloped, one way in, one way out, and no Go Arounds!  But after some research I discover they are generally not included in XP, even as defaults!  The only one I could really find was Tapini.  I do not know what airport database XP uses, but in MSFS2020, where I am an Alpha tester, they are generally there and I love them.  Given PNG’s famous, unique aviation history, I hope this issue can be addressed in our beloved XP.  Cheers.

XP is showing 75 airports/airstrips in PNG. I've attached a list of the ones I can see in csv format

This is Lumi (LMI) in std XP scenery which strangely I can call up in XP search but it doesn't appear in my list ?? (sorted that mystery, the default LR apt.dat doesn't have a country code on the Lumi airstrip profile so it didn't appear in the search)

Lumi-in-XP-1280.thumb.jpg.21b99ebdf57fc3f6d5a22397f3ccb417.jpg

best regards

Kev

Airports.zip

Edited by Photosbykev
correction

If there is still an interest in producing updated/missing airstrips for PNG then I 'd be happy to plod on with the task.

I've just started flying in PNG with the new Porter PC-6. I'm experienced with WED so sceneries are no problem but the big question(s) for anyone interested is/are

1. Would you prefer them Gateway compatible? (That would sometimes mean flattening the airfields, which I don't like doing)

2. Made with or without Orthophoto scenery in mind?

3. Made with or without ground routes for AI traffic?

My personal preference is to make them gateway compatible with Orthoscenery in mind. Gateway compatible is prefered because it eliminates the need for endless object libraries, but it restricts the realism achieved. anyway, your thoughts are most welcomed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skismo said:

If there is still an interest in producing updated/missing airstrips for PNG then I 'd be happy to plod on with the task.

I've just started flying in PNG with the new Porter PC-6. I'm experienced with WED so sceneries are no problem but the big question(s) for anyone interested is/are

1. Would you prefer them Gateway compatible? (That would sometimes mean flattening the airfields, which I don't like doing)

2. Made with or without Orthophoto scenery in mind?

3. Made with or without ground routes for AI traffic?

My personal preference is to make them gateway compatible with Orthoscenery in mind. Gateway compatible is prefered because it eliminates the need for endless object libraries, but it restricts the realism achieved. anyway, your thoughts are most welcomed.

I like flying around PNG, only just started since this thread appears but loving the region.

Personally I'd like ortho scenery but finding cloud free imagery is difficult. Default XP scenery with plug-ins is reasonable but not great. Please don't flatten the airstrips

Kev

Has anyone tried these?

I'm going to experiment with these later today. 

I did try a pack, not use if it was that one though. Anyway, ended up ditching the lot as the first bunch I tried did not load into the sim due to too many errors or too many objects missing.

I'm not a fan of object libraries due to the constant need to keep ontop of the updates, let alone the amount of space required to store them all.

But I do appreciate the effort that has gone into them and how they make airports look more like the real airport than the gateway assets can do.

I have tried a few of the airstrips in the PNG Pack and it's not too bad. There are duplicates with some sceneries like Tapini which cause conflicts, but I just removed it from the PNG Pack with WED and it's ok afterwards.

Menyamya

PNG Menyamya.jpg

Madang

PNG Madang.jpg

Hoskins

PNG Hoskins.jpg

Papua, New Guinea.  346 folders as listed.

I have located these airport or strips as accurately as possible with Google.   Most are bare dirt or gravel strips with no ortho or mesh.  Done back in XP 9 and 10, they are bare and plain.  

If anyone is interested, Let me know and I can put them in OneDrive.   Total zipped load is 90 MB.  Following is a text list of them.

PAPUA AIRPORTS.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Skismo said:

I did try a pack, not use if it was that one though. Anyway, ended up ditching the lot as the first bunch I tried did not load into the sim due to too many errors or too many objects missing.

I'm not a fan of object libraries due to the constant need to keep ontop of the updates, let alone the amount of space required to store them all.

But I do appreciate the effort that has gone into them and how they make airports look more like the real airport than the gateway assets can do.

In the end it comes down to a personal choice.
I fly VFR over ortho scenery when using the Porter or the Kodiak, I don't have any 3D objects displayed in the scenery.
I don't like runway flattening, but I do appreciate some runway smoothing and I'm quite happy to just have 2D strips for PNG.
It's important (for me) to keep the runway slope and if buildings are applied, they should be the stock ones from X-Plane.
I'm with you on libraries, I no longer use them.
As for ground routes for AI traffic, I don't use it. It's hard enough to get good performance in VR over ZL18 ortho, without adding extra aircraft.

I managed to fly this route this morning, but there's not even a 2D strip at Yambaitok (AYYZ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ1X4N49lnI
I did manage to get in on my second attempt, but it was a very lumpy landing on just the ortho and the slope was very steep compared to real life.
PNG has lots of interesting and difficult strips to get into, but flying over PNG is not very interesting. The interesting bit is navigation and to find the correct strip to land on. I just realised that on my last flight, I landed on what looks like an old disused strip, not the one I was looking for. The GPS was no use, as X-Plane doesn't recognise AYYZ. I just repeated the flight again and landed on the correct strip, it was a lot smoother than my first attempt.

Steven. 

Edited by Bikeflyer

I've been trying to play about with scenery creation,and having some difficulties with programs like orth4xp to get nice ground scenery. Have manage to place a basic grass airstrip in Yambaitok, when I say basic I mean basic. Have a look and let me know. I intend to maybe fancy it up a little with the odd buiding and what have you once I aquaint myself with scenery editors. I am new to X-Plane as it was always to tecchy for me, being a casual msoft 9 and x flier. Give me an idea as to the strip position it maybe could do with being moved west a little possibly shortened, also the elevation if I remember is suppose to be 685ft, I set it at 720ft I believe because it looked better visually. But I do remember you saying it drops of at the bottom so it fits nicely there.

I was about to give up until after a little research on the forums, found out not to use the "flatten airport" in world editor and to check "Runways follow terrain countours" in X-Planes general settings. the ground was either totally flat with the world editors 'flatten' and about four different slopes without 'runways follow' in X-Planes general settings. And I'll  be looking at getting some photo overlays for the grass strip to give it a more realistic feel. I hope this is in the area of what your looking for?  I have a list of bookmarked locations on Goog earth and will try and get some more. I spent about a week messing about doing this, but in between downloading scenery upgrading graphics card and memory and watching countless online tutorials.

I hope this file actualy works on another system. Cheers Mike

Sorry about that but here is the correct co-ordinated file 'yam plus2, ..forgive the mind fog, when originally trying to find the  "strip" visually on X-Plane the earlier co-ordinates were the best match (3.7 mile SSE) as the google co-ords would put this strip where it was supposed to but nothing worked. (actually the first one would display reasonably in X-PIanes default scenery) I put this down to a glitch. Now if you run yam plus2 file in X-Plane without any ortho4xp scenery it is so vertexed it is vexing. I tried to use ortho4xp to convert the mesh only (55mb's)  but gotta put my hands up it doesn't seem to work. I am currently using the highest arc scource which uses over 20 gb for the tile. I was going to delete the first file from this post...but it is an airstrip that works (challengingly) with the base scenery. As a last ammendment to this post...Yambaitok is situated right on the edge of one of the scenery tiles.. maybe I should have started on an easier airstrip, but how better to learn than jumping in at the deep end.. in the virtual world only. And my new virtual wings the 'Kodiak'...In msFSX my fav was the dh6.

And of course youre videos are brilliant I wouldn't miss one now I know about them. You are up there in the same league with Blancolirio and Agent jz.

yam plus2.7z yam plus 1.7z

yambaitok.2.jpg

yambaitok.jpg

yambaitok3.jpg

Edited by bradleyorath
mis co-ordinated airstrip

I would second that request.

I have watched all your VLOGs and loved every minute of them. You are truly a skilled and dedicated pilot working up there in what would be some of the most tricky situations in the world. Keep up the great work.

Max

On 5/8/2020 at 8:59 PM, Digachan said:

Hi Bush Pilot,

I can make some and do you have any request APs.

I started  Kerema. 

Sir,

I recently meet up (Virtually) with Ryan and have a list of Airstrips in PNG. I have never built airports in X-plane and recently been flying FS2020. There are few airports missing in the new Sim and some that need Tree Trimming but overall the Sim is stunning! I know this is an X-Plane Forum but I want to reach out to you to see if you too are looking at the upcoming Sim. If I were going to get into Scenery it would most likely be there. 

Let me know you thoughts

400 plus airports in West Papua.  Raw but located as best as possible against Google maps.  Some have basic runways as in XP 9.  Most have no buildings as that mimics real life for most of them!

https://tinyurl.com/y2uusaxc.       

Have at them as you want!

On 5/8/2020 at 4:34 PM, Missionary Bush Pilot said:

Ryan

Ryan, 

Lots of work! How would you run these on YT?

Edited by AJM56

1 hour ago, flsm (Frank) said:

Just a reminder that this thread is about independent Papua New Guinea, not Indonesian West Papua.  Cheers.

Too bad,  Much more enjoyable on the west side.  Each to his own!!

• 1 month later...

@olblucat

Unfortunately, the link doesn't do anything. It opens onedrive and asks me to log in but then there is nothing in my shared folder.

I do not use onedrive, as a rule but I cannot see what I am doing wrong.

Has the link expired, maybe?

Colin

Edited by Colins2
update

• 3 months later...