AutoOrtho - streaming ortho imagery for X-Plane (12 and 11)

I've been using v.04.4 since last July, and it's been working flawlessly since then. Of course, I haven't been able to figure out how to limit my cache size, because it's up to 232Gb and 18.5 million files! 😵‍💫

Other than that, I see no reason to upgrade.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, @Jeff2122, @TinkerNZ, @flightwusel, and anyone else that cares to chime in!

My notes only go back to October of last year but I was using v0.4.4 well before that, July sounds about right. The big difference for me with the step to v0.5.1 is the dozens of scenery_pack.ini entries are down to 2 plus any continents you download, and for me that's a total of 6 entries to manage. But that is superfluous to the actual performance of the versions IMHO. I can't recollect any "wow" moments from better performance when I went to v0.5.1.

The cache limit function is a nice feature but it is more like a trimmer, not a limiter. You still need to have drive space way over whatever limit you set for your cache size. You must trim the cache to the specified size manually with the button which is not what most people think. I believe that most believe that it keeps it limited automatically.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mennisco said:

I've been using v.04.4 since last July, and it's been working flawlessly since then. Of course, I haven't been able to figure out how to limit my cache size, because it's up to 232Gb and 18.5 million files! 😵‍💫

Other than that, I see no reason to upgrade.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, @Jeff2122, @TinkerNZ, @flightwusel, and anyone else that cares to chime in!

Hi there, great to hear you are having a 'clean' run with AO v4.4. And as the saying goes, if it aint broken don't fix it.
The reason you are not able to limit your cache I think is because that limitation feature (max 500Gb) wasn't introduced until v5.1+ . With v7.1 you have a simple slider in the Gui Menu to control Cache size.
Provided you have sufficient disk space, or you can set the Cache path to an alternative drive with more space, I suggest you stay with v4.4.
If disk space is a concern, an upgrade (carefully) to v7.1 will give you full Cache size control. If for instance you set it to 100Gb it will delete the oldest files to make room for newer ones as you fly in Sim.

My preference is to retain as much Cache as it builds, and for that reason I have a dedicated an external DDS (fast one) with plenty of space. Over time I'll build Ortho for all the regions of the World I fly over. To match this with Ortho4XP would take many many Terra Bites, so worth the much less AO Cache file disk space.

My 2c worth. Happy flying.

TinkerNZ

• Like 1

@TinkerNZ and I were typing at the same time I guess. So TInker, you said it trims your cache as you fly. That might be true for v0.7.x but not for v0.5.1. I suppose I didn't know it did that since I haven't used that version much beyond testing it.

I agree with Tinker, I can think of no good reason to upgrade at this time if it works for you.

Thank you for your replies, Jeff and Tinker. I've put my cache on a 1Tb M.2 SSD which has about 500Gb left on it, so I should be good for a while.

Just out of curiosity, have you heard of anyone else who may be attempting to move this project forward or develop something similar? It seems that @martok80 has abandoned it, unfortunately. (But thank you for what you've done. It's a game-changer!)

• +1 1

11 hours ago, Mennisco said:

It seems that @martok80 has abandoned it, unfortunately.

I don't think (hope) he has 'abandoned' the project. Rather the development has reached a level with v0.7.1 where it is pretty good and making further changes until the needed Ortho info/dsf data is made public by LR is just 'tinkering' with things.
I would like to think that once the whole Ortho compatibility with XP12 has been resolved we may see further upgrades and development of AO.
Ortho4XP is in the same boat, waiting for that vital additional data before upgrading. 

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

15 minutes ago, standx92 said:

I noticed GO is no longer an option under the providers, was there a reason for this?

I had not noticed as I mainly use BI, but I suspect this is because GO tends to block IP addresses that download 'too much'. GO has been an issue long since when building tiles with Ortho4XP and using them as the source. Once you exceed their limit your IP address gets blocked for 48 hours or longer.
The same would apply for AO and using GO as the provider of textures.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 6:11 AM, TinkerNZ said:

I don't think (hope) he has 'abandoned' the project. Rather the development has reached a level with v0.7.1 where it is pretty good and making further changes until the needed Ortho info/dsf data is made public by LR is just 'tinkering' with things.

On that note, I see that there is now a version 0.7.2 build tagged as a "pre-release". Only fix listed is:

• Lock multi-thread seek and read for same FH.

I have not downloaded and applied this update yet. I'll let someone else be the brave soul who tries it first.

• +1 1

That shot is at a random airport I hadn't visited before, but plan to on  my journey - KMKG. But it matters not which airport I pick - if it is a first visit, I get plaid tiles.

Just gave it a try at set at maxwait = 6.5 and fetch_threads = 64 there were a few plaid tiles I could see. Changed maxwait to 7.0 and restarted AutoOrth and X-Plane 12 and could not find any plaid tiles where I found them the first run. I don't know if changing to 7.0 or the second load took care of the tiles.

• Like 1

Greetings.

First of all, I really enjoyed flying with AO.
When I flown across the Atlantic I discovered that Greenland was completely flat.
I spent some time to fix this problem.
BGBW airport looked like 
image.thumb.jpeg.e6144fc7dee10bea00d6bc993d4a3e2e.jpeg

(original above, my version below)

Unfortunately, high resolution imagery for most of Greenland is not available at all map providers available for AO.
Only BING has small pieces of a more detailed map.
Therefore, most of the tiles built with 13ZL.
For example, BGUK airport
image.thumb.jpeg.5685c47d5b5745ede125631e5e107148.jpeg

I also added tiles above the 75th parallel. There was no mesh at all, but airports present there in the Global scenery.
for example VGQQ
image.thumb.jpeg.096c5892050c178c19f587be66817251.jpeg

If anyone is interested, you can download it here: z_ao_gl.zip
For those who prefer faster and robust downloads, you can use torrent here: z_ao_gl.zip.torrent

Installation instructions:

1. If AO is running, close it.
2. Unpack the archive into the "{Scenery install dir}\z_autoortho\scenery"
("D:\autoortho-data\z_autoortho\scenery" in my case)

3. Launch AO
4. Launch X-Plane, then close it.

5. Edit scenery_packs.ini and put z_ao_gl above z_ao_na.
In my case:
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-World_Africa-7-forests/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-World_Africa-8-network/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-World_Vegetation_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/----------------- Mesh ---------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_afr/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_asi/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_aus_pac/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_eur/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_gl/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_na/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ao_sa/

6. launch X-Plane

Happy flying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what I did but AO no longer launches. It starts, shows UI, and exited.  I turned on debug and this is what I see in the log. Any pointer? thanks much.

ps it's been working great for quite a while! 

Much appreciated. 

log.txt

19 hours ago, cyl8 said:

I am not sure what I did but AO no longer launches. It starts, shows UI, and exited.  I turned on debug and this is what I see in the log. Any pointer? thanks much.

ps it's been working great for quite a while! 

Much appreciated. 

log.txt 5.88 kB · 3 downloads

Hi there,  I note you're on a Mac and I have no knowledge if or how that works for AO (it being a Linux and Windows app as far as I know)
I also see you are trying to run AO v5.1 which uses the same placeholder process in the custom scenery folder as AO v7.1.  I did strike this once when I made an error while messing around and ended up with multiple copies of the z_ao_na (and the other regions) in my folder. This stopped AO from starting up.
Suggest you do a fresh install, preferably AO v7.1 after first renaming all the v5.1 files and folders as a backup, also deleting the z_ao_## folders and than doing a fresh install. Once you've got AO v7.1 up and running you can either move the v5.1 Cache over or link it with a junction. (not sure if that can be done on a Mac)

Cheers
TinkerNZ    

• Thanks 1

Thanks! indeed that's what I ended up doing, wiped out existing installations, .files, and started autoortho with a clean slate and it works fine. I am re-downloading the sceneries. It's going to take a while. I'll report back. 

Thanks again! @TinkerNZ

Hello, I've been getting occasional crashes with Autoortho, I was doing a long-haul flight from NA down to SA and it crashed in the middle of Brazil. It's always Autoortho that's causing the crash as it says on the log.txt file:

Fatal error when loading: Custom Scenery/z_ao_sa/textures/34640_23520_BI16.dds (EXCEPTION_IN_PAGE_ERROR, NTSTATUS=0xC000000D)

I have gotten this too when flying long hauls ctp from Europe to North America. However, when I fly short hauls anywhere, I don't get this message.
I am using the latest version 0.7.2

I attached the log.txt file and my .authoortho

When I had this error before I set my maxwait time to 5, I thought putting it back to 0.5 helped solve the problem but I still get this error which only during long hauls. I have debug = true for a long time now and I am not sure if it helped. I use winfsp.

image.png?ex=65d342d5&is=65c0cdd5&hm=c9ae2134aa3572de3fd3f3d52aac7b6ca20524672252f124167f099228cab527&=

Thanks!

.autoortho.txt Log.txt

Edited by CptNateZ.

16 hours ago, emdebee™ said:

Finally, AutoOrtho in X-Plane 12! Just updated AutoOrtho to v0.7.2 and it's now working as expected with X-Plane 12 as well as X-Plane 11...

WooHoo 🤗

hmm, been working for me since 0.6