🇳🇴 911th fly-in: Harstad/Narvik Airport, Evenes, Norway (ENEV)

Kumiankka

link to fly-in index thread

banner.jpg

It's once again time to celebrate midsummer, so this Sunday, June 26th let's head north of the Arctic Circle to a place where we can properly appreciate the midnight sun, and visit Harstad/Narvik Airport, Evenes, Norway (ENEV) for the first time. This single-runway airport shares its location with Evenes Air Station of the Royal Norwegian Air Force, whose 333rd Squadron operate P-8 Poseidons bearing such dramatic Norse mythology inspired names as "Hugin" and "Munin", the ravens of Odin. F-35 fighters of the 132nd Air Wing are also forward deployed at Evenes, although to my knowledge these ones missed out in the cool name department and have to do with boring old serial numbers instead.

While we're visiting Narvik, another spot worth flying into might be the older airport closer to the city center at Framnes (ENNK), which was closed down in 2017 after being made redundant by the imminent opening of the HÃ¥logaland Bridge. Unfortunately this big suspension bridge is too new to be included in the X-Plane scenery yet, but for both the airports at Framnes and Evenes we do have some very nice freeware custom scenery available, and as additional add-ons I recommend both the Narvik ortho tile from Zonephoto.fr and the Norway Pro VFR package, also both freeware.

Have a nice trip - god tur!

New pilots are always welcome, just read the guide on how to get started!

Remember to listen in on Teamspeak, new channel assignments listed here:
121.00 - fly-in main channel
123.00 - fly-in pre-flight
124.00 - small talk (in German)
125.00 - general comms (non-fly-in)

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Kumiankka for choosing Narvik (ENNK) as one of your suggested destinations; I feel honored that my old scenery is listed above. Narvik was my first ever scenery for X-Plane 10. It is a shame that Narvik airport was forced to close as a condition of the HÃ¥logaland Bridge's construction, but life moves on - perhaps as a symbolic 'nod' to the former airport, some of you will fly by fly under the new bridge? (As if you need encouraging, haha!)

I have just finished updating my Narvik scenery to work with X-Plane 11 (v11.55r2), full details can be found in my post below or by downloading the scenery via Kumiankka's link above.

Any questions, let me know here or via PM.

God tur piloter!

Edited by Skylark2992
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Awesome news, thank you @Skylark2992!

Right now it looks like flying under the Hålogaland Bridge won't quite be possible since the bridge is too new to be included in any of the scenery packs for the area, but if that update of yours for the ENNK package should change things then it'll definitely be added to this week's itinerary 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2022 at 2:25 PM, Kumiankka said:

Awesome news, thank you @Skylark2992!

Right now it looks like flying under the Hålogaland Bridge won't quite be possible since the bridge is too new to be included in any of the scenery packs for the area, but if that update of yours for the ENNK package should change things then it'll definitely be added to this week's itinerary 😉

I have updated my Narvik (ENNK) scenery at Kumiankka's link above. Please note that the new ICAO code in X-Plane 11 is now XENNK; this is because after the airport sadly closed in 2017, X-Plane 11 correctly updated the airport's status and ICAO code. Thanks to this helpful post from @triplemon, I learned that I therefore had to update my Narvik's scenery ICAO from ENNK to XENNK to prevent the default/Gateway scenery from loading alongside my scenery, which obviously looked weird. Please download all of the above-listed libraries and follow the conventional scenery-order rules in your 'scenery_packs.ini' file so my scenery loads correctly. My scenery works with all of the above-listed scenery addons.

There are two versions of my Narvik scenery, please only install one version:

Either 1) The updated X-Plane 10 and 11 version without my gift* to you all - no further steps required. Just download the scenery file called 'Narvik[no-bridge]', then extract the folder called 'Narvik' to your Custom Scenery folder.

Or 2) The updated X-Plane 10 and 11 version with my gift* to you all - please follow these easy three steps:

i) Download the scenery file called 'Narvik[bridge]', then extract the folder called 'Narvik' to your Custom Scenery folder.

ii) Download this scenery file (I have requested the author's permission to include their object in my scenery, but they have not replied, so for obvious reasons I cannot include their objects in my scenery; I therefore include in this version the WED files required to load this version of my scenery, after you simply add their object to my scenery).

iii) Extract the eight object-related scenery files (ignore the 'Earth nav data' and 'plugins' folders) from step ii) above, then simply put them into my Scenery's objects folder at: Custom Scenery\Narvik[bridge]\objects
My included WED files are set up for this modification, so you don't need to do anything else - you're good to go!

*I wanted to offer you all my updated airport because Narvik was the first ever scenery that I created for X-Plane (10). I also offer it to you all as a small 'gift' to thank you all for the vicarious thrill that is reading your PIREPs for the past three years - especially your 'tour guides' in the recent North American tour! My 'gift' is just the best possible representation of what is there in the real world, after searching tens of options; it is not necessarily realistic, but I hope that you like it.

Optional extras

1) There are some additional Norwegian bridges for you to explore freely here. (As if you need encouraging, haha!)

2) For the best results, download Zonephoto's tile for the Narvik region (+68+017), then you must set X-Plane's 'Runways follow terrain contours' to ON or the airport will be flat and boring. I confirm that with the very kind help of @172MC, these orthos mean that Narvik now has both the usable mesh and the correct elevation.

Screenshots of my updated Narvik using Zonephoto ZL16 orthos + the approximation of the HÃ¥logaland Bridge + Norway Pro VFR

TSB2zX6.jpg

bMw0v8f.jpg

X51D4nV.jpg

KOLI47i.jpg

VGirWud.jpg

oPl22CU.jpg

NEiW9Fb.jpg

IMHAdSx.jpg

DLQgegO.jpg

vMQTZgI.jpg

ATvu9Dg.jpg

TqhC8EW.jpg

p8n05Jv.jpg

JC5Dg4c.jpg

3) Alternatively, if you want a wintry scene, then I recommend to download this high-resolution mesh from HD Mesh v4 for X-Plane 11 only - first, download tile +60+010 for the Narvik region, then use SAM3 and run the seasons in 'Deep Winter' with winter/snow trees enabled. This will show Narvik airport at its proper elevation with a usable runway, but you will not be able to use orthos.

Screenshots of XENNK (Narvik) + the approximation of the HÃ¥logaland Bridge + HD Mesh v4 (no orthos) + SAM3 (Deep Winter + snow trees) + Norway Pro VFR

OvLwLpy.jpg

Thanks everybody in the X-Plane community, particularly the weekly 'Fly-in' community, for inspiring me to update my scenery. Mange takk, og god tur piloter / Many thanks, good journeys!

- Skylark2992

Edited by Skylark2992
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Awesome @Kumiankka - thanks for the feedback, it didn't take you long to 'test' that new bridge, haha!

Oh, and by the way: I see that one advantage of not using orthos is that X-Plane's default mesh more accurately depicts Narvik's elevation; the runway is smoother, but the taxiways and apron remain very bumpy and uneven. It's a shame that we cannot have the best of both worlds, hopefully X-Plane's next scenery 'cut' (I suppose for X-Plane 12) will update the mesh in this region. ('Terraforming' is actually one feature which I prefer with MSFS' SDK - you can modify terrain elevation and profiles rather intuitively in real-time.)

Edited by Skylark2992
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for the Narvik scenery and included gift, @Skylark2992.

A couple of comments for those who use the sirmheaven x-Europe add-on as I do (instead of Norway pro):  I had to put a couple of exclusion zones for objects and facades within the airport and an exclusion zone for road networks around the bridge.

Also, I find that there is no mesh problem at all when using the ZL 16 tile for the area from Zones Photo.

Edited by 172MC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @172MC. I actually do not have my old ZL16 orthos from Zonephotos for Narvik, but I just remembered that unfortunately they also flattened the airport. I really wish that we could have the best of both worlds here: The elevated airport and a flat/usable mesh for the airport.

Update: For the best results, download the Zonephotos tile for the Narvik region (+68+017), then set X-Plane's 'Runways follow terrain contours' to ON. For some reason, I still cannot download from Zonephotos ("Service unavailable"), but I can confirm that with the very kind help of @172MC, these orthos mean that Narvik now has both the usable mesh and the correct elevation. I am now updating my scenery in WED to tweak it (e.g., to realign objects, to move the airport's perimeter fence so it does not slip off the cliff-edge, and to make it look slightly more authentic).

Alternatively, if you want a wintry scene, then I recommend to download this high-resolution mesh from HD Mesh v4 for X-Plane 11 only - first, download tile +60+010 for the Narvik region, then use SAM3 and run the seasons in 'Deep Winter' with winter/snow trees enabled. I have updated my previous post with screenshots so you can see the results for yourselves. This will show Narvik airport at its proper elevation with a usable runway, but you will not be able to use orthos.

Edited by Skylark2992
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I am a little confused. I am seeing ENEV Harstad Narvik Evenes, and XENNK as Framnes, and they are two different airports at different locations. Am I getting something mixed up? thanks. 

NM, I misread the descriptions :)

PS the scenery's gorgeous!!! Thanks @Skylark2992!!  and the bridge is solid. I propose a 2nd bridge challenge, which is to land on it with your vtol/stol of choice :) 

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 11.15.45 PM.jpg

Edited by cyl8
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This week's Fly-in was the first chance I had to join in many weeks, but only for a short time; I chose my Skyhawk for the short flight from Evenes (ENEV) to Narvik (ENNK), with the now traditional pass under a bridge, using real time and weather (but noticed from the screenshots that I never set the altimeter to the correct pressure).  Beautiful scenery throughout: many thanks to @Skylark2992for updating his ENNK and adding the bridge.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On short final, I noticed that in addition to the Rajo's plane on the runway (which I knew about from his radio calls), I had to contend with a stray building on the the threshold (I guess the exclusion zone I had put in to deal with simHeaven's X-Europe was not large enough)

image.jpeg

By the time I parked, Rajo had relocated to the ramp

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I then used WED to expand the scenery exclusion zone for objects and facades successfully

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

See you all soon!

Edited by 172MC
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It was an eventful morning for me after a few eventful weeks being out, then it was the security issue that took out Nvidia driver that caused a bit of storm about the disabled GPUs. Once new drivers were out, it took me another week to get things going again as things had changed quite a bit between tools and OS. I am glad that I did wake up with alarm early for the fly in only to be delayed slightly due Teamspeak passed change. I eventually managed to get back on Teamspeak thanks to @F5Chaser's tip on Discord.

I read about the military background of the site and tried with F35. I never figured out how to close the canopy, the document had all the text but missed all the images so I could not tell which switch may toggle the canopy, also, all the toggle/switches in the cockpit were shown as white boxes so that didn't help. I didn't want to waste time further and took off ESNQ Kiruna while tried to figure out Teamspeak and controls.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-6-43-01-AM.jpg

Gorgeous scenery of surrounding area

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-6-48-48-AM.jpg

While setting things up for ILS landing Runway 17 of ENEV, it circled around unexpected. I thought setting it up for landing configuration may prep it better for ILS, but it appeared starting to drop off of the sky when I lowered the gears. Tried to initiate after burner and raised gear but I did not have sufficient altitude and crashed on the bay shore... That was strike one.

Beamed myself back to airport, I had just in time to watch CHAS and Marpilot taking off

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-02-00-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-03-07-AM.jpg

Switched to DA62, something a little more familiar, for the under bridge challenge. Plenty of space for a small GA craft.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-11-18-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-14-15-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-14-42-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-22-39-AM.jpg

Returning to XENNK but got a bit lost on first VFR approach and had to go around. Landed 2nd time and parked behind Rajo and observed WIF263's arrival, was that Vega66?

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-25-44-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-26-39-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-27-55-AM.jpg

I then kook off again in DA62 to return to ENNK, half way thru I heard some clunking sound and watched right proper stopping in front of my eyes. I had to declare emergency, figured out I was about exactly half way between the two airports and decided to push forward to land ENNK runway 17 with one engine on fire.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-43-20-AM.jpg

Downwind 17 while Gordo landed. The cockpit was getting hot by the fire.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-45-30-AM.jpg

Made it down and parked near the building. Kumi took off in the background while I ran to grab fire extinguisher

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-48-46-AM.jpg

Well, the DA62 needed some work to be air worthy again, so hopped back in helo for scenic tour. Here engine started and rpm up for the flight.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-8-14-26-AM.jpg

Meanwhile, It think it was Kumi in what appeared to be a glider while CHAS landed

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-8-18-15-AM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-8-18-40-AM.jpg

I had to go park on the bridge

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-8-24-20-AM.jpg

Then went up the peak to admire the scenery one last time before calling it the day.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-8-33-02-AM.jpg

Until next one!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, Skylark2992 said:

NEiW9Fb.jpg

@Skylark2992 thank you for working on such a great scenery, I was unable to join the fly-in as I was out of town for a family commitment.  I will certainly give it a "solo" try and send you the link to my pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cyl8 said:

It was an eventful morning for me after a few eventful weeks being out....I then kook off again in DA62 to return to ENNK, half way thru I heard some clunking sound and watched right proper stopping in front of my eyes. I had to declare emergency, figured out I was about exactly half way between the two airports and decided to push forward to land ENNK runway 17 with one engine on fire.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-26-at-7-43-20-AM.jpg

@cyl8 : Ha! I had the very same problem during the formation flight at Sintra for @Vega66's home base tour fly-in, the Diamond model cannot take running the engine at take-off power for too long. As soon as you take-off you must reduce the power to climbing levels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Managed to fit quite a few flights into one evening this time, with all the excellent scenery including @Skylark2992's wonderful updates there was just so much to see.

b738 - 2022-06-26 13.46.56.jpg

First one was from Oslo Gardermoen in the popular Zibo mod 737-800. Lots of liveries being made for this modded plane too, including the entire Norwegian fleet!

b738 - 2022-06-26 14.30.56.jpg

During the flight north I got to dig into lots of little details that were simulated on the Zibo 737 but not the default one, such as the interplay between the anti-ice and pressurization systems. The downside of all this complexity of course was the same issue that many payware planes have, which is incompatibility with the external switch panels.

b738 - 2022-06-26 15.20.28.jpg

Even the landing gear lever on the panel wouldn't work, but luckily the default keyboard shortcut did, so a belly landing at Evenes wasn't necessary.

DHC8-100 - 2022-06-26 16.20.12.jpg

After a coffee break (got to refuel the pilot as well as the plane), I switched to another improved/modded plane, the Manky1 realism mod of Riviere's DHC-8-100. Came back online just in time to see a long line of aircraft arrive - @rajo pictured here

DHC8-100 - 2022-06-26 16.29.47.jpg

Having found a takeoff slot, I headed further north for a short hop to Tromsø.

DHC8-100 - 2022-06-26 16.49.23.jpg

Final to Tromsø Langnes. Note the twin bridges on either side of the island - we'll get back to them 🙂

Kingair_v2 - 2022-06-26 17.09.05.jpg

Starting a return trip in the matt66 King Air, with Lufttransport air ambulance livery by martinlest

Kingair_v2 - 2022-06-26 17.28.04.jpg

The glass cockpit and moving map on the King Air made navigating those labyrinthine fjords a lot simpler.

Kingair_v2 - 2022-06-26 17.41.13.jpg

Parked at the ramp at Evenes once again, while @gordoxproenca executes a go-around in a B-29 following a long haul from Thule, Greenland

Car_C337 - 2022-06-26 17.52.44.jpg

Off to visit the town of Narvik itself and the smaller Framnes Airport in the Carenado C337. Just missed the busiest traffic at ENNK, with @rajo just departing in the background.

Car_C337 - 2022-06-26 17.59.17.jpg

Not visiting during peak hours was probably a good idea, since I blew my first approach at the tricky, carrier-like airfield and almost stalled into the cliffside before recovering and executing a go-around.

Car_C337 - 2022-06-26 18.02.47.jpg

Made it down on the second try, a bit bumpy but better than crashing into the cliffs for sure.

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2022-06-26 18.16.37.jpg

Picked the JustFlight Turbo Arrow for the return trip, holding short while @CHASMAN2014 arrived.

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2022-06-26 18.23.34.jpg

Circling above Narvik, and the nearby Beis Fjord

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2022-06-26 18.25.37.jpg

Also spotted someone taking off from the Hålogaland Bridge, as I suspected this was @cyl8 completing his version of the challenge.

JF_PA28_Turbo_Arrow - 2022-06-26 18.33.57.jpg

Returning to Evenes once again and turning final (the winds had by now calmed down enough to allow approaches from the 35 end)

b738 - 2022-06-26 19.10.12.jpg

Five flights was enough of that realistic flying - now it was time to switch to the P-8 Poseidon to start those bridge challenges. The P-8 here is actually a mod of a mod, replacing some object files in the Zibo mod 737 to represent the P-8.

b738 - 2022-06-26 19.15.40.jpg

The P-8 was able to fit under the bridge quite well, but the pressurization system kept complaining that I was "off scheduled descent". Maybe I should have entered an FMS route to go under that bridge?

b738 - 2022-06-26 19.19.38.jpg

Higher-altitude view of Narvik and the bridge

b738 - 2022-06-26 19.24.24.jpg

Returning to ENEV…

b738 - 2022-06-26 19.27.06.jpg

…and touching down again on 17

merlin - 2022-06-26 19.44.22.jpg

For the next level of the challenge, landing on the bridge itself, I picked the AW101 Merlin by alpeggio & co. The AW101 (Norwegian livery here by Fred Perth) is currently replacing the Sea King as the primary Norwegian SAR helicopter.

merlin - 2022-06-26 19.52.43.jpg

While the detail on the AW101 was excellent, this did come at a framerate cost maybe a little heavy for my old system. This combined with my unfamiliarity with the AW101's handling made me decide to try a little hover practice above Narvik and Framnes Airport before starting the attempt on the bridge.

merlin - 2022-06-26 19.59.15.jpg

Once I got to the bridge itself, I was glad I had decided on that extra practice. Not only did I have to deal with maintaining control in the low framerate, but there was a steady crosswind blowing down the fjord now, trying to push me into the bridge supports.

merlin - 2022-06-26 19.59.48.jpg

Down on the bridge…

merlin - 2022-06-26 20.01.37.jpg
…and taking off again

merlin - 2022-06-26 20.03.38.jpg

By now it was time to get back to Evenes Airport again, if I wanted to have time left for those fighter jets too.

F_16 - 2022-06-26 20.24.24.jpg

First up, the JCS F-16 in Royal Norwegian Air Force demo livery by SCARP.

F_16 - 2022-06-26 20.25.51.jpg

Those Top Gun style tower flybys were extra dangerous here, as Evenes Airport had put up air defenses in the form of those light poles 😄

F_16 - 2022-06-26 20.27.51.jpg

After pushing my luck at the airport for long enough, I headed for the bridge again.

F_16 - 2022-06-26 20.32.17.jpg

Gauging the height from the water at these high speeds was the trickiest part, a bit too low and you'd go "splash"

F_16 - 2022-06-26 20.40.33.jpg

After the bridge flyby I set course for Bardufoss Air Station, another older fly-in destination from way back

F_16 - 2022-06-26 20.42.28.jpg

Parked at Bardufoss (almost didn't make it due to the difficulty of braking on the very bumpy runway)

F-15C - 2022-06-26 20.51.07.jpg

Airborne again in the plane I practiced those bridge stunts in, the FACO F-15C (Ace Combat Zero livery by yours truly), and setting course for Tromsø - remember those two bridges?

F-15C - 2022-06-26 20.57.16.jpg

Here's the first of them, the very imaginatively named Tromsø Bridge

F-15C - 2022-06-26 20.59.46.jpg

And on the other side of the island, the Sandnessund Bridge

F-15C - 2022-06-26 21.09.23.jpg

Thanks to the drop tanks, I still had enough fuel to make it to Narvik without having to land and refuel (or resort to midair refueling cheats)

F-15C - 2022-06-26 21.11.47.jpg

Ditched the now-empty tanks in the Ofotfjord before starting the bridge run

F-15C - 2022-06-26 21.16.16.jpg

Going down the length of the Hålogaland Bridge…

F-15C - 2022-06-26 21.18.16.jpg

…and celebrating the stunt by dropping some flares on the climbout (and maybe causing a forest fire or two)

F-15C - 2022-06-26 21.24.07.jpg

Back on final to ENEV, view from the cockpit

F-15C - 2022-06-26 21.25.43.jpg

About to touch down

F-35A_A2A - 2022-06-26 21.43.23.jpg

More careless dispensing of flares in the AOA F-35A, Royal Norwegian Air Force 132 Air Wing, 331 Squadron

F-35A_A2A - 2022-06-26 21.46.32.jpg

Closeup of the F-35 at a higher-altitude air patrol

F-35A_A2A - 2022-06-26 21.50.15.jpg

Going under the bridge one last time…

F-35A_A2A - 2022-06-26 21.55.47.jpg

…and returning to Evenes with the midnight sun (or at least late evening sun) hanging low in the sky

Flc20 - 2022-06-26 22.24.04.jpg

One last flight to finish a long evening, departing Evenes in the Henkfix/Riviere Falcon 20, in another one of Fred Perth's Norwegian liveries

Flc20 - 2022-06-26 22.39.59.jpg

Setting course for my home town of Oulu, the flight took me across Swedish airspace, past Stora Sjöfallet National Park.

Flc20 - 2022-06-26 23.21.08.jpg

Even here, slightly further south than Narvik, the sun was still up past 11 o'clock as I started the approach to EFOU past the windmills at the ferry harbor.

Flc20 - 2022-06-26 23.27.58.jpg

Half an hour to midnight - parked at the ramp at Oulu Airport and finally logging off.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Quintao said:

@cyl8 : Ha! I had the very same problem during the formation flight at Sintra for @Vega66's home base tour fly-in, the Diamond model cannot take running the engine at take-off power for too long. As soon as you take-off you must reduce the power to climbing levels.

I knew that! but the fire started some time after I've rolled throttle back. I might need to go back to the doc and see how long it can run at take off throttle... Thanks for pointing it out!! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Million thanks to @Skylark2992 for this amazing scenery and the bonus bridge that provided a superb boost and lots of fun.

I tried to make some orthos for the region but after mutiple attempts and tweaks didn't manage to obtain good resuls, so sticked to the zoneortho options avaiable. Spending a lot of time in these attempts, I was still at Bodø in the mornig, so had to perform a previous flight to get to the desired departure Bergen airport.

The choice for this was a Flyr 737 by Zibo. 

Fortunately the weather was great and the clearance to Bergen was exepedited with no further delays

image.thumb.jpeg.333d6bfe05d84888fd1eb314d72f4a8a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7c957c506063293fd691b7b824c9b99.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7eac6ecf4fc4c4a1fea3bc2b227a2d2.jpeg

Arriving at Bergen encountered additional scenery problemas, as some builings from the Norway pro addon were planted over the apron. After additional checks, found that I was not working with the most updated version of the addon, so an adittional delay to reinstalled it, which was rewarded with a fixed scenery installation.

image.thumb.jpeg.face6c7dcc845b92997b98db554dc6d2.jpeg

The 737 engines were still running, so a quick work on the flightplan update and cleared for Evenes Harstad Narvik.

image.thumb.jpeg.781ffc29e008922e6fc41fed37299446.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.89e239f7e00a4167a3b977eb85979d0d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b0c82069787efb7316f7429531a26260.jpeg

Nice approach over a very beautiful place.

image.thumb.jpeg.811360d3ea9f1731e548b48d77d2b7f3.jpeg

Touched down and parked not far from @Kumiankka

image.thumb.jpeg.872d4c8a9d71738f2e6496ca1aeacf24.jpeg

After a break, returned to perfom the bridge challenge and a stop over the beautiful Narvik Framnes airport.

A Widerøe Dash8 was the choice.image.thumb.jpeg.826bbd9d5a357b905e583b0a466ef672.jpeg

Approaching the Bridge and FLying under it.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8e1f55b5a443ba18968d3382514ec00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dccd5ab6237bcd823d3e541255f573c0.jpeg

A nice landing at Narvik, although this is a larger than recommended frame for such a tiny and busy apron. Taxied  behind @cyl8 and departed immediately for the return flight to pay a visit to Bardufoss.

image.thumb.jpeg.058ea5e663ccdeb2554830d7e13e906b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.101235b28c6e787b2006d97eec9471da.jpeg

From there, changed to a Norwegian D228 for a return flight to Evenes

image.thumb.jpeg.debb1cde0a414176c76d5d24f2559fc6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6aceb2a4f97ac09c49b286460649b9eb.jpeg

Parked not far from another Norwegian airplane that was being preped bu Kumi (although not the right livery in this shot). 

image.thumb.jpeg.6337f843f2ced1ba7553307ae6e42867.jpeg

And for a final flight, switched to the great F16 from Deltawing Simulations that was recently updated and now it looks and feel even better. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5685369b817a81e8ff0412c60acea887.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.88bce42c3e08d3358510dfb76437b18d.jpeg

Followed Kumi for a while as he was performing around the Narvik Bridge. Tried to fly between the poles, but that was really not a good idea, resulting in a catastrophic crash.

After that restarted from Evenes and headed to Orlanda before I called it a day. Unfortunately, the screenshot option stopped work after the above snapshot, so no more snaps for this week.

Amazing Fly-In greatly enhanced by all the amazing pilots who joined.

Wish you all great days ahead.

Edited by Vega66
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hello fellow sim pilots, another fun day of flying,!

I started my flight at Oslo (ENGM) serving Oslo, Norway, and a hub for Scandinavian Airlines.  I was  flying the freeware CRJ900 with the SAS Scandinavian Airlines livery. .

906064304_departinggateoslo.thumb.gif.15e1c3b1426d6cafa33e16eb17b772ea.gif

I taxied to Runway 19L while @ghun1 was taking off from 19R.

449791574_taxiintopososlo.thumb.gif.0dd0f67d18cee322874f31dac3e6d7c8.gif

After departing 19L followed the  19L SID, and followed @ghun1direct to Evenes.

972074758_departingoslo.thumb.gif.b507bce28d968a4ca09a44b00826f98e.gif

Landed Evenes (ENEV) via ILS 17

landingevans.thumb.gif.1b0436475bb776230fb4ca17e4e0e137.gif

touchdownevans.thumb.gif.6a0faff934be90a4aa83131f0445cc71.gif

Parked at the gate next to @rajo and @Vega66

1240112593_OVERHEADeVENS.thumb.gif.57c249644431189469ad615358fa45d0.gif

Next moved on to the bridge challenge, and a short flight to Narvik (ENNK) flying the Evektor EV-55 Outback. Had to make two attempts as I came in high and fast. As @Kumiankkaput it, short runway like landing on an aircraft carrier.

landingnavik.thumb.gif.d411d9c1682632012adf5fe2feb7aa21.gif

Thanks to all for a fun day of flying with great people.

All the best,

Chas

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everybody for your interesting PIREPs, and for your gratitude. Again, thanks to @172MC for helping me with Zonephoto's orthos and mesh for Narvik. I am impressed with those of you who managed to shoe-horn larger aircraft into Narvik; you're right, its runway is not completely unlike that of an aircraft carrier.

I am also impressed @Kumiankka with how many flights you made; your commitment is second-to-none! Flying under, through, and landing on the HÃ¥logaland Bridge is equally impressive. One day I'll take the time to fly into Narvik - until then, thanks everybody for the inspiration and nostalgia.

Edited by Skylark2992
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

All flights for pilot rajo
Date From To Aircraft Type Duration Distance Earnings Action
2022/06/25 02:28:41 OSDI UUOB G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 02:32 1036 $12,349.75 View
2022/06/24 00:15:42 OIIG OSDI G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 02:35 747 $12,168.90 View
2022/06/23 03:58:57 UTSS OIIG G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 02:16 781 $10,132.37 View
2022/06/22 01:15:45 TM0J UTSS G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 00:30 123 -$482.27 View
2022/06/22 00:01:04 UTDL TM0J G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 00:47 227 $583.67 View
2022/06/21 22:37:26 VIDP UTDL G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 02:15 790 $16,255.79 View
2022/06/21 01:38:45 VEKU VIDP G-543A Bombardier Challenger 300 02:27 879 $15,821.71 View

In the meantime, my FSE CL30, which has not been flying with the DDENN CL30 for some time, it no longer works in macOS Monterey with 2 important plugins, but with the fantastic Bombardier Challenger 650 from HotStart, was in New Delhi. I started moving her towards Norway. In Damascus OSDI someone bought her out from under my nose and renamed her from D-RAJ300 to G-543A. What now? I found a cheap Challenger 650 in Ohio, bought it and started flying it toward Norway, making as much money as possible on contracts.

2022/06/26 20:32:41 BIKF ENAT D-RAJ650 Bombardier Challenger 650 02:45 1108 $17,879.94 View
2022/06/26 17:31:59 BGBW BIKF D-RAJ650 Bombardier Challenger 650 02:01 651 $416.26 View
2022/06/26 13:22:11 ULLI ENEV TF-WYN Dassault Falcon 50 01:54 629 $8,798.25 View
2022/06/26 02:21:15 CYYR BGBW D-RAJ650 Bombardier Challenger 650 01:47 676 $2,788.75 View
2022/06/26 00:10:44 KDTW CYYR D-RAJ650 Bombardier Challenger 650 03:17 1133 $9,369.65 View
2022/06/25 18:41:10 KOWX KDTW D-RAJ650 Bombardier Challenger 650 00:48 76 $2,580.03 View
2022/06/25 17:41:57 KAOH KOWX D-RAJ650 Bombardier Challenger 650 00:15 20 -$812.35 View

but I didn't quite make it, Saturday night I wasn't even in Iceland. Everything was in vain, on Sunday I flew from Petersburg ULLI with the CL60 to the target (FSE: Dassault Falcon 50, which is quite similar to the Challenger 650). In the evening then moved the 650 nevertheless still in the proximity of the target.

637348104_CL650-2022-06-2202_08.37Gro.thumb.jpeg.ecd33ecbcf6b1cbb5c42c63a4a263f8e.jpeg107799259_CL650-2022-06-2203_17_17Gro.thumb.jpeg.ea76c51b48044a9870bc7c2d9dc14d61.jpeg1487812270_CL650-2022-06-2203_36.52Gro.thumb.jpeg.7bcce373ea4dbf0cc34c493075676ee5.jpeg441049486_CL650-2022-06-2504_27.43Gro.thumb.jpeg.89eb54fab01f370a860838e77b9358d7.jpeg230452813_CL650-2022-06-2504_42.14Gro.thumb.jpeg.7fc62afba0974e32f1dc88a372b083b0.jpeg1407692306_CL650-2022-06-2602_45.44Gro.thumb.jpeg.32318b43902ef794e6e2013d463d4e5d.jpeg33360982_CL650-2022-06-2604_20.42Gro.thumb.jpeg.76d081357fe55e97ae283d35257a5aaa.jpeg1825945545_CL650-2022-06-2615_20.01Gro.thumb.jpeg.29ef3cb930549790b88b99f086d54e56.jpeg1393718827_C177B-2022-06-2616_33.07Gro.thumb.jpeg.62f8e1c1c22d1558dbb7b400127714d1.jpeg401482047_C177B-2022-06-2616_36.00Gro.thumb.jpeg.804b905f15975297fe08dc5f235fb334.jpeg468899913_C177B-2022-06-2616_53.07Gro.thumb.jpeg.4b6a2e91e56ce4175e8d0afc235ce027.jpeg333208968_CL650-2022-06-2617_22.11Gro.thumb.jpeg.d06af0d3bfa9548e07e86e05da3a0f4e.jpeg1460190723_CL650-2022-06-2620_11.48Gro.thumb.jpeg.066c123bf13e8ab5dc73af730ba8d94f.jpeg653138446_CL650-2022-06-2716_54.19Gro.thumb.jpeg.6a11e54b6263479c8807dcb21eb0103a.jpeg

Happy landings!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Late one for me this week. I started out in a recent previous destination, Oulu, with a Norwegian F-16, freshly upgraded to version 1.5. It took me a little while to figure out the changes and get everything running. The IRS alignment feature is a welcome touch of realism in the new update!

781548607_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2608_34_02.thumb.jpg.bda7dc9f1da52c4a4c5530ab64d209df.jpg1533296121_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2609_03_40.thumb.jpg.2e7d15d57493de14112a984a3ed8c1bf.jpg

Up in the air a little behind schedule, fortunately this thing climbs fast! I used autopilot for much of the journey although there seemed to be an issue causing a lot of porpoising during cruise.

696837240_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2609_11_44.thumb.jpg.1783c00f6aa9701a94e88ce0ba98c8fe.jpg977328224_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2609_16_30.thumb.jpg.4c0dfbe47177ccc25af9226c23a81422.jpg

Made it to Narvik in one piece and joined the downwind for landing runway 17.

172824207_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2609_21_24.thumb.jpg.de73fce7b00581e8a1a31676440a1ca1.jpg

I believe that is @Kumiankka holding short for departure in his DHC-8 100.

1626388076_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2609_24_02.thumb.jpg.c99d94c7efdff3ba2bf019ccb28c9a84.jpg

I must have come in hot cause I used up all of the runway in the rollout. No runway excursions however!

1642536366_DWSimF-16C-2022-06-2609_29_15.thumb.jpg.6e07c1f5e736168216fbe545a6a53ee1.jpg329120926_AV8B-2022-07-0210_37_23.thumb.jpg.6b766c1974cdf293ad906dd822f1ccaa.jpg

I didn't have time on Sunday to explore @Skylark2992's scenery so made plans to do so later in the week in the X-Trident Harrier.

956897244_AV8B-2022-07-0210_44_37.thumb.jpg.c00820a2821cc996c981858ead7383b2.jpg774868008_AV8B-2022-07-0210_49_12.thumb.jpg.a6fc7661843280806b07394d1cc2ae11.jpg438043288_AV8B-2022-07-0210_57_15.thumb.jpg.715d88c588d8a1e82aa916ba77f0c776.jpg

The VSTOL capability coming in handy for a stop and go on the bridge and then a short landing at Narvik Frammes. The scenery is amazing! I really enjoy the atmosphere it gives to the area.

See you tomorrow in Duluth!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1