[Solved] Time for a bath again at SCRM

perwel

SCRM Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin is in bathing season or is it the global warming ?? I have done land and TO from water with zibo before so no problem doing that

Where can I check if this are in some bug/todo list? One report is enough, I can do it but no need if already reported.

SCRM.thumb.JPG.8355e6a60d5c5104bbc81a41800e32fd.JPG

1 minute ago, ghun1 said:

I confirm it is indeed a very wet airport. Send a bug to Laminar via the bug report form.

OkiDoki will do that.

FYI
This is one stop on my Around the world tour so I will only be there one time.

12 minutes ago, perwel said:

XP 12.07r1 and that area is installed, Just landed in SAWH Malvinas Argentina with no problem.

me too but not SCRM. Why not try the airport mentioned and then report.

8 minutes ago, ghun1 said:

me too but not SCRM. Why not try the airport mentioned and then report.

I'm in a World tour for my VA so I must land and SCRM on next leg to get the tour approved

I flew from Peru down to SAWH and next leg is SAWH to SCRM.

Just a reminder - X-Plane terrain mapping/mesh only extends as far south as 60°S latitude. SCRM is at 62°S, so there will be no terrain visible.

https://www.x-plane.com/press-kit/#:~:text=X-Plane includes 19 aircraft,and includes over 34%2C000 airports.

SAWH is at about 55°S latitude - therefore it has visible terrain.

Since SCRM is a "terrain airport" - just earth/dirt/gravel, not concrete/asphalt, that may be why nothing except the 3D objects show.

It is also the case that XP12 has introduced "bathymetry" modelling - it is possible for things to be below sea level a few meters, and visible down through the "transparent" water - sometimes.

However the elevation of SCRM is 44 feet, so it should be visible "floating above" the sea level, if correctly defined in its apt.dat (which it is).

1     44 0 0 SCRM Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin
1302 city Isla Rey Jorge
1302 country ATA Antarctica
1302 datum_lat -62.190833333
1302 datum_lon -58.986666667
1302 gui_label 3D
1302 iata_code TNM
1302 icao_code SCRM
1302 region_code SC
1302 state (unassigned)
1302 transition_alt 3500

I suspect the airport model (which as we know, was created by a user-volunteer, not Laminar) may have "Always flatten terrain" turned on in the construction details set in World Editor - which could be why it has been suppressed to sea level (or below). Or it may be missing an "airport boundary."

Also as we know, airports are the responsiblity of the people who build them, or additional volunteers who can use WED to fix things. Laminar will usually only fix airport bugs related to the terrain mesh - and since there is no terrain mesh this far south, there is nothing for Laminar to fix.

The existing model of SCRM available on the Gateway (which is where Laminar acquires its airport models) was last updated eight years ago (2015). Making it an X-Plane 10 airport.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/SCRM/show

A volunteer who knows WED will have to update it for XP12 - if even possible at that latitude.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, skycycle said:

Just a reminder - X-Plane terrain mapping/mesh only extends as far south as 60°S latitude. SCRM is at 62°S, so there will be no terrain visible.

https://www.x-plane.com/press-kit/#:~:text=X-Plane includes 19 aircraft,and includes over 34%2C000 airports.

SAWH is at about 55°S latitude - therefore it has visible terrain.

Since SCRM is a "terrain airport" - just earth/dirt/gravel, not concrete/asphalt, that may be why nothing except the 3D objects show.

It is also the case that XP12 has introduced "bathymetry" modelling - it is possible for things to be below sea level a few meters, and visible down through the "transparent" water - sometimes.

However the elevation of SCRM is 44 feet, so it should be visible "floating above" the sea level, if correctly defined in its apt.dat (which it is).

1     44 0 0 SCRM Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin
1302 city Isla Rey Jorge
1302 country ATA Antarctica
1302 datum_lat -62.190833333
1302 datum_lon -58.986666667
1302 gui_label 3D
1302 iata_code TNM
1302 icao_code SCRM
1302 region_code SC
1302 state (unassigned)
1302 transition_alt 3500

I suspect the airport model (which as we know, was created by a user-volunteer, not Laminar) may have "Always flatten terrain" turned on in the construction details set in World Editor - which could be why it has been suppressed to sea level (or below). Or it may be missing an "airport boundary."

Also as we know, airports are the responsiblity of the people who build them, or additional volunteers who can use WED to fix things. Laminar will usually only fix airport bugs related to the terrain mesh - and since there is no terrain mesh this far south, there is nothing for Laminar to fix.

The existing model of SCRM available on the Gateway (which is where Laminar acquires its airport models) was last updated eight years ago (2015). Making it an X-Plane 10 airport.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/SCRM/show

A volunteer who knows WED will have to update it for XP12 - if even possible at that latitude.

OK I know WED so how can I create land there. And why does it exist in Global Airports with no land as you say.
Strange also that on the Gateway page it says it is shipped with 12.07. If no land it should be removed from Global airports in my opinion....or??

I will try to remove Always flatten and check airport boundry

30 minutes ago, perwel said:

And why does it exist in Global Airports with no land as you say.

As a solution, take a look at Antarctica4XPlaneA (freeware) XP11 scenery not (yet) updated for XP12, but still works quite well.

Part 1 is relevant for you if SCRM is your destination. BTW: It exists also a nice rendition by @Cami De Bellis and @palple

Edited by maps2xplane
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

17 minutes ago, perwel said:

OK I know WED so how can I create land there.

You cannot create a land mesh with WED. WED is a scenery and overlay editor, not a mesh editor.

South of the 60th parallel you can only use a custom mesh. Antarctica, among others, is one of the regions that are non-existent for LR. Although these are the regions that in reality are the most challenging regions for aviation.

Fortunately, some parts of Antarctica are available as free custom mesh, so I recommend Antarctica4XPlane.

Besides, there is also a very plausible custom scenery for SCRM here, which looks way better than the standard LR gateway scenery for Antarctica.

25 minutes ago, perwel said:

If no land it should be removed from Global airports in my opinion....or??

I talked about this issue with LR years ago, but in the reverse sense. Why there is no default mesh for Antarctica in XP, although all airports there, which are officially listed as such by ICAO, are present in the default scenery data of XP. LR's answer was neither satisfying nor logical: Ice and snow were not part of the default XP scenery (at that time still XP10). 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, maps2xplane said:

As a solution, take a look at Antarctica4XPlaneA (freeware) XP11 scenery not (yet) updated for XP12, but still works quite well.

Part 1 is relevant for you if SCRM is your destination. BTW: It exists also a nice rendition by @Cami De Bellis and @palple

OK thanks will check it

Just watched a Mission Impossible movie on TV, that is why the long silence 🙂

Now I am downloading part 1

Get back soon

Finally land 😎 Works nice and are very OK for my trip. But do not think it is ok for a Boeing. Does anyone know if there have been B737 there in real life?

Think I'll take the Hot Start Challenger instead. Or maybe cheat and change it to a nice big Tarmac rw.

Thanks @maps2xplane and @WalSch  for the hint about Antarctica XP

LandSCRM.thumb.JPG.f0f80363af3ac12f6db0672688e18688.JPG

• You Are Welcome 2

17 minutes ago, perwel said:

Just watched a Mission Impossible movie on TV, that is why the long silence 🙂

Two hours is not long. Time is as relative as relativity, as Albert Einstein explained it: "When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes; when you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." 😉 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, perwel said:

Does anyone know if there have been B737 there in real life?

Not recommended in real life, as the runway is too short for that at just under 4,300ft.

But in XP you can give it a try. Or as I always say, "you never know until you have tried".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalSch said:

Not recommended in real life, as the runway is too short for that at just under 4,300ft.

But in XP you can give it a try. Or as I always say, "you never know until you have tried".

Yes to short needs 6000 if I recall right. that is why I thinking about that cheat with WED. Or full reverse and Parking brake, I do not pay the tires anyway 😎

But i'll go for the Challenger instead. Prop would be perfect but to slow, 500+ nm from SAWH.

9 minutes ago, WalSch said:

The C-17 is also a frequent choice for all conditions in Antarctica.

Cool airplane. But I do think most airplanes have VOR, I think I have seen VOR entry in the radio page in the FMC or what it is called in the Challenger

I think I'll have a look at the C-17, never pilot that one ever.