Scenery Gateway (Lego Bricks) United Kindom Airports

anthony_d

Hello,

I've been making lego brick airports for the default x-plane library.  Previous airports I've made include:

Scottish Highlands and Islands: Outer Hebrides, Orkney, Shetland, Inverness. (My efforts with Barra have been bettered by Litjan)

Scottish Tayside, Isle of Man, Humberside.

Then I look a break for a couple of years and since that time the number of UK airports added to the X-Plane library has been small compared to the likes of Germany etc.....

So I've decided to make this a small hobby of mine and improve British representation in the default x-plane world..  And so I've made the following airports in the last month or so:

Campbeltown (EGEC) (much of the old airfield is now decommissioned and fenced off).

[attachment=214121:Car_C208B_1.jpg]

Guernsey (EGJB)

[attachment=214122:Car_C208B_3.jpg]

Alderney (EGJA)

[attachment=214123:Car_C208B_2.jpg]

Andrewsfield (EGSL)

[attachment=214124:Car_C208B_4.jpg]

Barrow Walney Island (EGNL)

[attachment=214125:Car_C208B_5.jpg]

Beccles (EGSM)

[attachment=214126:Car_C208B_6.jpg]

Bedford (EGBF) - not much here, except a massive carpark on the disused part of the old airfield.c

[attachment=214127:Car_C208B_7.jpg]

Most recently I've added Biggin Hill (EGKB) - subject to approval

[attachment=214128:Car_C208B_8.jpg]

With all of them, I've tried not to just limit myself to tracing rectangle facades around buildings.  I've tried to add a bit of atmosphere to each airport.  So for example, decayed surfaces look dirty or cracked.  I've added mounds of earth in the neglected parts.  I've tried to add trees if they exist nearby.  I've tried to vary the ground textures by using the various "pavement" polygon options.  Added the all important floodlights and clutter.

General plan is to work my way through the NATS AIP list, concentrating on airports that aren't well represented elsewhere..... unless someone else beats me to it.

• Like 4

Excellent work and I am very happy to see another massive effort to populate default X-Plane! I am looking forward to flying those british airfields, soon!

Thanks for your contribution, Jan

16 minutes ago, flsm said:

Thanks for this effort. I cannot find Biggin Hill to download!?

Here it is: https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/EGKB

Note that if you download and install this package, you can fly it NOW (instead of after 10.50 gets released), but you SHOULD delete the package again when it becomes included with default X-Plane. Otherwise you will not benefit when someone improves the version (since your downloaded version will always suppress the new version).

This is the reason why downloading from the Scenery Gateway to actually FLY the sceneries (as opposed to working on them) is not really recommended by Laminar.

Cheers, Jan

5 hours ago, flsm said:

Anthony_d, thanks for all your airports. Did you see my post above about adding a bit more to Biggin Hill? It would also fill in some currently empty space. What do you think?

Afraid I only know Biggin hill by virtue of the satellite images.  I certainly don't recall seing any buildings inside the perimeter fence that I missed.

I see them now in the (zoomed in) satellite pictures - sorry, they just looked like a general suburban area with my zoomed out satellite pictures.  I'll leave them for now, but anyone can download the airport I made straight from the airport gateway into WED, make changes and upload a copy back to the gateway with fresh changes.

The x-plane default library is limited, but with a bit of creativity something resembling the Chapel could be made. 

Wow, you are churning them out! Excellent job, and I love how you got creative with the little details, there! I think making the airport is one thing, but adding something "special" about it is going the extra mile. Good job!

Jan

EGHA Compton Abbas uploaded, pending approval

I'm quite impressed with how much detail it is possible to add with just the default library.  Even little things like varying the tarmac and concrete textures can have a big impact.

c4_3.jpg

• Like 3

On 01/04/2016 at 1:19 AM, flsm said:

Anthony_d, thanks for all your airports. Did you see my post above about adding a bit more to Biggin Hill? It would also fill in some currently empty space. What do you think?

These are for submission to the Gateway so they can only use Laminar Research art assets. The chapel you mention, and most of the WWII buildings, would be impossible to add because there just isn't anything remotely resembling them in the paltry collection of assets provided by LR. Anthony is doing the best he possibly can with the limited resources.

Edited by einstein

8 hours ago, Guy7 said:

Is Glenforsa one of yours?

Yes it is.  All of the highland and Island airports were done my me before the gateway went live (Barra has since been bettered by Janov).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, einstein said:

The chapel you mention, and most of the WWII buildings, would be impossible to add because there just isn't anything remotely resembling them in the paltry collection of assets provided by LR.

What would help enormously would be a range of facades that would create a pitched roof rather than a flat roof. 

Speaking of facades, is there a webpage / document somewhere that catalogues the appearance of all the facades?  Navigating the range of autogen facades is somewhat hit and miss.

2 hours ago, anthony_d said:

Yes it is.  All of the highland and Island airports were done my me before the gateway went live (Barra has since been bettered by Janov).

Thanks for all your hard work on these.  It was a nice surprise to arrive at a real feeling airfield in what to most I presume is an out of the way place.  I'll make time to continue my exploration of that area.

Hi Anthony,

nice work on EGHA, I really can see the effort you put into this one!

I agree with you regarding the variation of those asphalt and concrete textures. In my opinion those polygons are one of the most useful tools to give an airport it's unique appearance. I also agree with your wish for facades with pitched roofs - those are urgently needed, but we have to see if Laminar will expand the default library one day. I really hope that we will get some new stuff with 10.50 as an autogen update is in work according to the developer blog. 

Regarding the appearance of facades: Jan made a WED video tutorial series in which he also covers facades. In one video he shows the range of facades which is available to us by using the Overlay Editor for a preview ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRq1tfHlXhg roughly at minute 20). By the way, it's also worth it to watch the whole tutorial series ;) 

Keep it up and thanks for your work!

Greetings Peter

Edited by BedaNo1

Holy Moly, he is going to finish UK before we do with Germany - zat kan not be! Schnell, schnell!

Great job, Jan

• Like 3

EGNV Durham Tees Valley Airport uploaded, pending approval

Old model was made using some seriously antiquated method.  Basically a series of squares and rectangles was used to make up taxiways rather than Bezier curves.  Never seen such a method.  But I deleted it all, except the runway and started again!

New model has surfaces made using Bezier curves, and I've added a variety of surfaces to give it some flavour and accuracy. 

Enjoy.

Car_Bonanza_9.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Anthony,

nice work! I think you'll stumble across those antiquated airport layouts more often, there are quite many default 2D airports built this way. Deleting everything and starting from scratch is - in my opinion - the best way for all 2D airports as long as they come from "WEDbot" and are not user enhanced. The runways and taxiways of these default 2D airports are often misplaced. 

Greetings Peter