Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G3 Base Model Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does HP Elitebook 840 G3 support 500GB PCIe NVME M.2 SSD? The specifications mention that it does support 256GB PCIe NVME M.2 SSD, but there is no mention of supporting 500GB or above 500GB PCIe NVME M.2 SSD. Can anyone clear the confusion please?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Mohsinbhatcse,

I installed a Western Digital 500 GB PCIe NVME M.2 SSD on my Elitebook 840 G3 a few years ago, so you wouldn't have any issues installing a 500 GB NVME M.2 of make of your choice.  You can even install a 1 or 2 TB M.2 SSD if you wish.

Take care.

HP Recommended

Hi Mohsinbhatcse.

If you take a look at your manual's (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04887250.pdf relevant pages:

Elitebook840G3manual1.jpg

Elitebook840G3manual2.jpg

Elitebook840G3manual3.jpg

......the 840 G3 laptops could be factory fitted with a PCIe m.2 of up to 256gb. The 512gb PCIe drives were reserved for the more expensive ZBooks. And this is just what this is all about. The cost of the larger PCIe drives -all those years ago- was too high for them to be used on the plain elitebooks. As tk_srq posted, you can install any capacity PCIe drive you want to. The only (potentially) limiting factors are the thickness of the m.2, and the PCIe generation. The thickness is not going to be a problem for you, but I'd advise you to avoid the Gen4 PCIe drives, and stick with the good-old Gen3 ones. Your laptop doesn't support the higher PCIe4.0 speeds anyway, and there have been problems on older laptops. Western Digital's drives are an excellent choice.

HP Recommended

PCIe is a downwardly compatible specification.

A PCIe Gen 5 or 4 will work , it will run at the bandwidth that the laptop's chipset and processor have, not at the advertised bandwidth.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I completely agree with you 1000%. Unfortunately some laptops (and laptop manufacturers) didn't get the MEMO.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.