Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quick Adriatic IFR Training Tour

10 Posts

Met at 0600 UTC for an early start to a half day IFR training tour in the local tricked out Diesel 172.

Stable high pressure weather with OVC050 (SC clouds) at departure and BKN050 at destination.

After a quick RNAV SID and a few minutes of IMC in the climb we passed Grintovec (2558m) enroute, seen here floating in the clouds.

A tailwind induced, solid 140kts over the ground meant it was soon time again to prepare for the approach.

Descending involved passing through a much thicker cloud layer on the ILB VOR based STAR to POR VOR for the VOR15 approach. A required Go Around after the MAP is a good discussion point here.

Maybe it’s the dull sky but Piran looked rather sleepy too, though definitely always worth a visit during warmer times of the year.

After landing the great ground crew @LJPZ, as always, awaited us and a quick golf cart ride later it was time for some coffee.

Two cappuccinos, some very reasonable priced JetA and a quick passport check later it was time to head on to LDPL. Conventional VOR SID departure straight out to the sea, then back to the VOR to join the short enroute segment.

Climbout between Slovenia and Croatia. Seen here is the Kempinski Hotel (or rather „Settlement“) complete with heliport.

A few minutes later, crossing Limski kanal and LDPV.

Preparing for the LCTR APP 09 as we pass the historical island of Brijuni

On final I noticed this ruin. „Forte Monte Grosso“, an early 19th century cannon battery.

After 25 minutes of time in the air we were greated by a very friendly ground crew who facilitated a quick turn around.

A PC12 crew parked next to us gave us a cloud PIREP of their descent into LDPL. The filed SID would require climbing through that stuff, while just a few NM east it was clear. LDPL ATC was helpful and approved a visual departure towards RJK VOR for the climb, and once reaching >8000ft we were cleared to the original en route plan.

Ramp up for departure;)

Obligatory „beautiful croatian bay picture“

LDRG seen in the distance, would really like to land there sometime.

The beautiful town of Opatja. Rijeka in the backdrop.

A short while later the clouds cleared as expected and we got some nice views happily crusing homebound, and the 1h 30m passed quickly.

Croatian/Slovenian border area

Adriatic fading out of view. Hope to see it again soon.

Sostanj power plant

LJSO

LJSG

Passing Pohorje Ski slopes before crossing Slovenian/Austrian border.

A few minutes later we were already on radar vectors as number three for the ILS behind a KLM and LH Embraer, an opportunity for practice of intentionally flying the ILS one dot above.

Flying around Slovenian and Croatian shores is always worth it, even if it’s just for training without any vacation ;)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Mar 16:57
always learning
LO__, Austria

I landed to LDPL at 11 UTC and departed an hour later to LDSP.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That was close ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Bit stratospheric for my liking
Nevertheless congrats on the nice pictures!

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I visited LDRG (Grobnik) airport one time in the winter, on the ground. My interest was mainly that it was the site of the former Yugoslavian GP motorcycle race, publicized long ago as being held in “Rijeka”. When I stopped there in mid-winter the place was totally deserted, tumbleweeds blowing around in Bora winds, hard to believe that the airport and race facilities were in use at any time of the year although I know they are. I rode past there again in 2019 but was with a group and couldn’t stop. It’s a location that interests me too, it would be great to fly in and land.

Opatija is interesting, definitely showing that it was once a Austro Hungarian seaside resort.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Mar 02:34

LDRG was pretty active in early 2000’s (IIRC until 2010) used by local aeroclub. I think I landed there last time 10 years ago or so. Legally it’s still active airfield operated by aeroclub but I don’t have idea how much it’s used – I hear about some parachuting activities from time to time. Race facilities are active spring to autumn and you can pay to drive there. Actually there was an active plan before the war to include it in F1 racing calendar since Bernie Ecclestone’s at that time wife Slavica was from Rijeka and she was strongly pushing for that.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks Snoopy
Nice to see snow and beaches in the same flight

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

@Dan wrote

Bit stratospheric for my liking

Like airline flying isn’t it ;)

Believe me I’d greatly enjoy some peak dodging in your machine.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Mar 18:50
always learning
LO__, Austria

@Emir

interesting info on LDRG, hvala!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Silvaire wrote:

I visited LDRG (Grobnik) airport one time in the winter, on the ground. My interest was mainly that it was the site of the former Yugoslavian GP motorcycle race, publicized long ago as being held in “Rijeka”. When I stopped there in mid-winter the place was totally deserted, tumbleweeds blowing around in Bora winds, hard to believe that the airport and race facilities were in use at any time of the year although I know they are. I rode past there again in 2019 but was with a group and couldn’t stop. It’s a location that interests me too, it would be great to fly in and land.

Opatija is interesting, definitely showing that it was once a Austro Hungarian seaside resort.

You continue to amaze ;) Of all places I’d never have guessed you having been in LDRG.

Opatja is very nice indeed. Lots of „Mileni“ there now (whatever or whoever that is) but it seems it’s for the better.

always learning
LO__, Austria
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message