Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Manston EGMH (closed 2014, may re-open)

It could be a good diversion for GA, too, with an ILS and no obstacles anywhere near, and with wide opening hours as most cargo hubs have.

Currently we have just Biggin Hill for that, although it has better transport connections. Apart from a potential train to London (?) Manston is in the middle of nowhere. And Lydd although I am not sure what the trains are like.

It has to be good news because currently Manston is shut

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’ll be good for me. I have family and friends there. (Depending on costs)
I used to be there normally 10+ times a year.
Maypole and Lydd are way too far out, so made it easier and quicker to drive. Not to mention cheaper.
I’m not holding my breath though.
I’m hoping it won’t be yet another huge class D.
A sensible size zone will be very low impact due to the location.
IMHO it only takes a very few high level individuals to shape the allowable environment for GA at a place like that. Let’s hope one or two of them are GA friendly.

United Kingdom

If EASA prevails, there won’t be ANY controlled aerodromes in uncontrolled airspace in Europe any much longer.
Then, if the UK doesn’t finally scale down their CTRs, it will mean there will almost not be any low-level class G remaining in most parts of England…

Is it now 100% certain that the UK will leave EASA?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Jul 10:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Is it now 100% certain that the UK will leave EASA?

Yes, or at least 99% certain.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

And Lydd although I am not sure what the trains are like.

Lydd now calls itself “London Ashford”, the justification I got from the CSR I asked when I flew in there once was “we’re close to Ashford and the train is quick into London”. However, Lydd is neither close to London nor Ashford – probably an hour to Ashford on public transport, and 30 minutes (and probably £45+) by taxi. Giving it a “London” name is as stupid as Kidlington renaming itself to “London Oxford”. I suspect when/if HS2 is built, Birmingham will use that as an excuse to rename as “London Birmingham” airport.

Andreas IOM

Yes

In that case, I guess someone might draft some design made of
ATZ (treated much like a CTR) plus
RMZ (likewise, treated much like a CTR) plus
TMZ

If they want to go for controlled airspace, then yes ,it will likely be big chunk of class D, functionally disjointed from other airspaces, but physically adjoining the LTMA.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Class E?

It would be Class D, and rising up to meet the LTMA which is 5500/FL65 above that spot. That would be OK, but they will probably also put in steps like Gatwick has, down to 1500/2500/3500ft and those are what gets busted. So the end result could be a ton of low level CAS where currently it is 5500ft+.

These are some of the original IAPs for EGMH (I have the whole last PDF) and you can guess what sort of CAS would be used to contain them

There would be a 1500ft step for sure, or just a vast CTR, say 15nm radius, all the way to SFC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EGMH ILS Rwy 28 – the first ILS I ever flew – 30 hours into my PPL. In VMC, obviously :-)

EGLM & EGTN

Apart from a potential train to London (?) Manston is in the middle of nowhere.

When Manston was operating in the past there was a quick shuttle bus to Ramsgate station or failing that a short taxi ride. The high speed train to St Pancras takes 1hr 13 mins.

Part of the ‘projected’ scheme is that a short rail spur will be added to the line connecting it directly to the airport. This will allow goods and people to get to London in under an hour.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message