Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fluffymitten
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

EasyJet, does the same, I’m always surprised by how cumbersome OLCI is with BA.
Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by subject2load
They might be starting a long train trip, a service with infrequent departures.
That was me this spring. I was caught in the Max groundings and was connecting to a Trans Canada train trip that only runs twice a week. I was only able to get rebooked in time because I have a friend who works for the airline and was able to move me to an earlier flight.
ttama likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
What you really need is to prioritise simpler IT over complex IT and that doesn't necessarily cost any more.
I couldn't agree more. There were none of these problems back in the BABs/DCS days.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are bound to be some delays tomorrow since people and aircraft aren't where they ought to be. Some flights had very long delays indeed. Plus there are one or two weather events out there. For the record here is BA's 16:30 hrs statement:

We have resolved the temporary systems issue from this morning which affected a number of our flights today. We apologise to all our customers caught up in the disruption, and appreciate how frustrating their experience has been.

Our teams have been working tirelessly to get the vast majority of customers on their way, with most of our flights departing. Our flights are returning to normal, however there may be some knock-on operational disruption as a result of the issue earlier today. We continue to advise customers to check ba.com for the latest flight information before coming to the airport.

Cancellations for 8 August (Thursday)
BA776 ARN 07:05
BA938 DUS 10:45
BA215 BOS 18:25 (this I noticed earlier today, it may be unrelated to the current problems)

and more relevant perhaps for the forum, the Inverness night stop got scrubbed so there isn't an early morning return to London.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The situation seems to be resolved so a tangential remark might not cause me to have my wrists slapped by a mod.

Not sure this is true.
Complex systems have complex problems and you can only test for the issues you can foresee.
Spending more time (not cheap) on system design and testing doesn't guarantee a lack of problems in deployment i.e. 'Good'.
One of the major causes of issues is some well meaning person 'fixing' a minor issue in a deployed system to increase quality but inadvertently causing much bigger problems e.g. the NatWest cashpoint issues.
What you really need is to prioritise simpler IT over complex IT and that doesn't necessarily cost any more.

Hire fewer people but ones that know what they are doing.
Less is more.
Don't hack at it.

In reality there is business system psychosis that results in the opposite of all these things because nobody involved really cares about the system, they are all locally optimising for their own reward (either psychological or financial).
So sadly Mr Cruz is not to blame.
You will find it hard to find any individual or organisation specifically to blame.
If there is any real blame it's on human nature.
How refreshing to read a post with a sense of reason and common sense.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by BAEC
You will not be allowed to disembark. Either the Captain disemabarks all passengers at LGW or no-one.
looks like he was
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by Samolyot

One day ruins your holiday? Buck up, snowflake!
For many people time off is difficult to get especially timed with children and family. So yes, one day can make a major difference. That type of comment is totally uncalled for.
AdBoy, Stormbel, KeaneJohn and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
I second that. The business process forces the IT to be corner cutting and ultimately failure prone.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Depends if you’ve got other flights on an unprotected separate PNR, you might have a hotel with a cancel if no show policy happens, you might need to do some admin locally a certain number of days before a wedding. Could be as basic as missing a cruise. Outdoor be these or a number of other situations where a days delay or disruption will ruin a holiday.
ttama likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
The situation seems to be resolved so a tangential remark might not cause me to have my wrists slapped by a mod.

Not sure this is true.
Complex systems have complex problems and you can only test for the issues you can foresee.
Spending more time (not cheap) on system design and testing doesn't guarantee a lack of problems in deployment i.e. 'Good'.
One of the major causes of issues is some well meaning person 'fixing' a minor issue in a deployed system to increase quality but inadvertently causing much bigger problems e.g. the NatWest cashpoint issues.

Hire fewer people but ones that know what they are doing.
Less is more.
Don't hack at it.

In reality there is business system psychosis that results in the opposite of all these things because nobody involved really cares about the system, they are all locally optimising for their own reward (either psychological or financial).
So sadly Mr Cruz is not to blame.
You will find it hard to find any individual or organisation specifically to blame.
If there is any real blame it's on human nature.
I disagree with much of this.

Whilst it's not possible to engineer any software system, particularly a complex one with a multitude of functionality, to be error free, it is possible to engineer resilience such that failures do not cause widespread and prolonged outages except in the most extreme "tail event" circumstances. And I'm talking from personal experience here - I run a team of hundreds of engineers responsible for systems I estimate to be of roughly similar complexity to BA's, and despite deploying 10+ changes per day, these types of outages simply do not happen (and I'm talking decade plus, not a short time frame) . With BA they seem to happen multiple times per year.
​​​​​
​​​​Ultimately Cruz is to blame. In my experience, apart from in the "tech" companies, there are few people in executive management positions in industry who understand and value technology, but many execs pay lip service to it. But it's an area where, as the saying goes, quality really is free.
scolbath likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by smckane
Yes, it's been slow. Yes, I wish it hadn't happened. But everyone with a BA badge on has tried to get things moving. The verbal abuse and threats I've seen dished out today are disgusting.
I've not caught up with the full thread yet, but want to thank you for this. Having been sworn at and verbally abused today it's been difficult. But the hugs and tears of happiness have fortunately made it more positive.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Just pushed back from the gate at 00:06 for the flight to EDI that was due to leave at 21:05.

BA had better not have a conveniently slow clock...

Last edited by RobDBA; Aug 7, 2019 at 5:17 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3

Mods
This is nothing less than a nasty and unnecessary remark. I know that this a world of free speech but this just goes too far.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
BA got a pasting on the ITV news tonight.

They even noted that Alex was conspicuous by his absence, re-running the infamous hi-viz clip
wrp96 and James91 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

quite simply outrageous and you show an utter contempt for those caught up in this BA self inflicted chaos. A bit like BA do.

One missed flight is not one day, it’s months of planning, months of anticipation. It means loss of money as BA don’t cover what they conveniently call consequential losses for their incompetence. This could lead to lost onward flights, hotel costs pre booked experiences. It might be insured but then you have the fight with insurance companies trying to limit their losses and then the policy excesses. Had this occurred on the 2nd the consequences for me and my family would have been horrible. Even with more than 24 hours transit time.

You also assume its just just one day. Last weekend when they blamed weather the day before my flight was rebooked more than 24 hours later. For some it was longer than that. At this time in the year it could 2,3 or more days.

frankly an apology to the OP is in order.

Tiger_lily, wrp96, Muttley and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.