Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 737max on a Domestic Red-Eye

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Air Canada 737max on a Domestic Red-Eye

AC 158 Calgary - Toronto
Air Canada's 737max is a new addition to the fleet and one which I deliberately scheduled to take just to try it out for a transcontinental flight. Its racoon eyes looked like another new aircraft type although it is a narrowbody. New improvements could also push it across the Atlantic. I guess it would be better than sitting in a HD 777.

With some time to go before boarding, I walked around the terminal and found a new, brighter construction with little carts transporting passengers around running on a BRT-like set of lanes. There was a station with benches right before the arrivals exit. Bright red lights turn on to warn passengers as one of the carts near as they must cross the vehicle lanes to get to the exit, or to the gate. For a less-trafficked airport, perhaps this sort of space-sharing can still be safe.

With empty gates everywhere, I could take a close-up of the horrible zoned boarding lines and why Air Canada can screw up boarding even for a narrowbody.

Boarding commenced late and it seemed quite full tonight. The cabin had a new plane smell and everything looked quite refreshing. The seats were comfortable with a large TV screen. The IFE was, however, not turned on and would remain off for the entire journey.

I don't think passengers were hungry on this overnight flight, but there was a bistro menu in the seat pocket anyway. Air Canada only provides complimentary water, soft drinks, tea, and coffee for these domestic flights. Despite being a red-eye, blankets were not provided. The joy of flying in North America ...

The flight deck greeted us and explained the late boarding was due to maintenance being on the aircraft after it had arrived. They were only able to get on the plane shortly before our boarding and we would need to wait another 10-15 minutes for security checks before we could depart. We were also told there would be some "light chops" in the first part of our flight, then smooth afterwards.

I dozed on and off and 3 hours passed fairly quickly before we were descending into a clear Toronto sunrise.

Since it was a fairly full flight, I waited until arrival to take photos of the new plane's cabin.

What surprised me were the many rows of these supposedly elite seats at the front part of the Economy cabin. There didn't seem like a noticeable amount of additional legroom, and it was still 3 seats a row. Is this another excuse to milk a few more bucks from the passenger?

There were a few rows of Business Class up-front. No lie-flat beds here.

Good morning, Toronto, 17 minutes late.

We were let off into a busy concourse where it was a straight line walk to the exit. There are actually 2 exits. For those with checked bags, they need to head downstairs to the baggage claim. Since I was hand-carry only, I could continue on to the upstairs exit, then escalator down to the curb.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/ac8224158.htm
Braniff and nequine like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
You were right about the plane having raccoon eyes! LOL

Nice photographs especially the night ones.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
thank for the great pics!

That being said it's always nice to hear about a mx delay for a plane that is new out of the box. lol
Those seats look awful ugh.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Those seats look at as bad as the one's on American's 737-8 MAX, albeit American is too cheap to put an entertainment system in theirs.

I loved your pictures, especially the sunrise ones. What do you use to shoot?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Flew the same plane type on AC from YYZ to SFO. The avod system is really good and responsive. The real bad part is the toilets in the back - so narrow and the sink ... good god, could it be any smaller??!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
These planes are already used on Trans Atlantic services! YHZ-LHR - downgrade from a 767 and LHR-YYT - swapped for an A319 which feels like a downgrade. Business is sold as premium economy.

The services and offerings are now comparable with WestJet but of course AC charge far more money.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
I loved your pictures, especially the sunrise ones. What do you use to shoot?
Just a regular SLR. Fortunately, there was enough light in the sunrise so not to blur out the entire scene.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Great pictures.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by injian
Flew the same plane type on AC from YYZ to SFO. The avod system is really good and responsive. The real bad part is the toilets in the back - so narrow and the sink ... good god, could it be any smaller??!
Luckily I have not been on one yet....one poster mentioned his dog's water bowl was bigger than the sink
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:28 pm

Does Air Canada use the same configuration of 737 MAX for international flights? Flying them to Keflavik from Montreal in the summer. As another has said, doesn't look too bad compared to AA.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Ian Michael Berry
Does Air Canada use the same configuration of 737 MAX for international flights? Flying them to Keflavik from Montreal in the summer. As another has said, doesn't look too bad compared to AA.
Yes, all the MAX are configured the same.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
These planes are already used on Trans Atlantic services! YHZ-LHR

Might as well be on a CR2 with fuel tanks hanging off the wings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.