XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
After driving either my Porsche or Jaguar XKR, I immediately plug them into the CTEK once I get out of the car.

It takes about 20 minutes or less to get the Green indicator light. It is pretty quick.

If I pop the trunk or even open the door, there is a drain on the battery immediately and the CTEK 3300 changes from Green to Amber instantly to start the re-charge. That's how sensitive these chargers are.

Have you noticed this with your CTEK's?

On my F Type when I am done driving I immediately hook up the CTEK 3300 charger as I usually go out of town for several days to a week at a time.

It works fine (I think) but it takes 6+ hours before showing fully charged.

Does anyone else have this going on?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ldmack3
On my F Type when I am done driving I immediately hook up the CTEK 3300 charger as I usually go out of town for several days to a week at a time.

It works fine (I think) but it takes 6+ hours before showing fully charged.

Does anyone else have this going on?
So you are saying that it takes 6+ hours before the yellow goes to green light? That does not sound right to me. Did you check battery voltage before you plugged it in? I do the same with my XKR and I was curious as to how long it took and mine changes in about 15-20 minutes. I would investigate further . Also do we assume you have it hooked up as been described by others and by the OM.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
So you are saying that it takes 6+ hours before the yellow goes to green light? That does not sound right to me. Did you check battery voltage before you plugged it in? I do the same with my XKR and I was curious as to how long it took and mine changes in about 15-20 minutes. I would investigate further . Also do we assume you have it hooked up as been described by others and by the OM.

It was installed by the dealer and today I'll be checking battery and charging voltage. Will advise. Thanks

Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Have to agree with Jagtoes. On both the XKR and 981, the CTEK will cycle back and forth as it is made to do so. However, after driving and parking either the Jaguar or Porsche, it usually takes about 15 to 30 minutes at best to cycle from Amber (yellow) to Green. There are times that when I go out to the garage I see the CTEK on the Porsche in the Amber mode, soon to go back to green. It seems the Jaguar goes thru the recycle mode to a full charge faster than the Porsche. I am not sure why.

I would agree that a 6+ hour recycle time is alot for the CTEK product. Perhaps your just catching the CTEK in a recycle period. I keep my CTEK's visible so once I get out to the garage, I can always see what state of charge they are in.

If it is a 6+ hour full cycle charge, are you shutting down the car completely, meaning locking the car in the garage or parking area. If you are, do the voltage check and load factor test.

Lets us know. This has been a big and important thread for so many Jaguar owners. We always want to know more. Thanks for posting.

The following users liked this post:
ldmack3 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:41 AM

Don't know if it matters but I bought the car in October this year with 81 miles on it. It had been at the dealer, as far as I can tell, since March. It now has about 1,000 mi on it so I would assume any storage issues (low utilization) would have been worked out.
Can't find the leads for my multimeter, off to the store.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I have had the CTEK for quite a while now. I just started the car up after 3 weeks of not running (cold weather, too), and it started right up, and I didn't have any electrical gremlins such as flickering LCD screens or screen dimming issues. Very happy with the CTEK so far...

Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM

All reading at the posts on the LH battery.

Engine off, door and trunk open. 3300 disconnected:
Battery reads 12.6V

Engine on, door and trunk open, 3300 disconnected:
Battery reads 14.5 after 1- 2 minutes

Engine off, door and trunk closed and locked, 3300 connected, amber charge light on:
Battery read 12.6 v immediately but after 15 min is 13V.

Charger is wired directly to the posts on the main (LH) battery. See pics, small wire is charger.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-ctek-3300-hot-wire-connection.jpg   CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-ctek-3300-ground-wire-connection.jpg  

Last edited by ldmack3; 11-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Battery reads 12.6V

Engine off, door and trunk closed and locked, 3300 connected, amber charge light on:

Charger is wired directly to the posts on the main (LH) battery. See pics, small wire is charger.
Looks like all voltage specs are in order.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have had the CTEK for quite a while now. I just started the car up after 3 weeks of not running (cold weather, too), and it started right up, and I didn't have any electrical gremlins such as flickering LCD screens or screen dimming issues. Very happy with the CTEK so far...
Alan:

So glad that the CTEK is working out for you. Glad you bought it and took the advice.

So nice when you can walk out to the car and have it start right up. Great news.

Happy motoring.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Looks like all voltage specs are in order.

After 4 hours it's almost to 14v. Amber light is still on.
If I can resist the need for speed I'll monitor for when the green light come on.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

After 4 hours it's almost to 14v. Amber light is still on.
If I can resist the need for speed I'll monitor for when the green light come on.
Seems to me that 4 hours to charge the battery is just too much time. Keep us posted.

Keep in mind the CTEK is NOT a full load battery charger. It simply maintains the voltage on a cycle of charging and not charging.

Do you have any electronics in the car, like a dashcam or video cam? Many times these electronic components remain on thus drawing the down the battery, but they usually only use a small amount of battery power (low amp).

Keep us posted. Perhaps others can chime in with their respective thoughts.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Battery reads 12.6V

Now I know that the dealer hooked it up but I seem to recall someone on this form mentioned that you do not hook up the + side directly to the battery. I forgot why (CRS) but they mentioned you had to hook it up to the post in the trunk. Maybe the F-Type doesn't the same arrangement as the XK.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

With my last XKR and now FtypeR.. .if I have not driven it for a few weeks the battery is no doubt down a bit. When I plug in my 2 amp battery tender it takes it 6-8 hours at least to charge up to spec., then it cycles.
If I have recently driven it before storage, then it charges the battery up much quicker.
Always does this and its fine.
Lawrence

Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Now I know that the dealer hooked it up but I seem to recall someone on this form mentioned that you do not hook up the + side directly to the battery. I forgot why (CRS) but they mentioned you had to hook it up to the post in the trunk. Maybe the F-Type doesn't the same arrangement as the XK.
As for the XKR. 2009 or earlier MY with 4.2L can be hooked up directly to the battery posts CTEK red to positive terminal, CTEK black to negative post.

Later MY's 2010 and beyond, hook the positive CTEK red lead to the positive terminal and put the black negative to a ground bolt.

There is a module on the 5.0L XKR that suggests the battery maintainer be connected to a ground bolt, not negative terminal.

Not sure at all about the F-Type as I have no experience with them.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Seems to me that 4 hours to charge the battery is just too much time. Keep us posted.

Keep in mind the CTEK is NOT a full load battery charger. It simply maintains the voltage on a cycle of charging and not charging.

Do you have any electronics in the car, like a dashcam or video cam? Many times these electronic components remain on thus drawing the down the battery, but they usually only use a small amount of battery power (low amp).

Keep us posted. Perhaps others can chime in with their respective thoughts.
Just checked it and it was still amber. I unplugged it to add in an extension I just picked up and when I plugged it back in it went green. Unplugged it and moved the car over in the garage and it went back amber again. Nothing on as far I can tell. The top is up doors and trunk closed and locked. At this point I'm just gong to keep it going and I have any battery trouble will go back to the dealer. Weird.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

There is a module on the 5.0L XKR that suggests the battery maintainer be connected to a ground bolt, not negative terminal.

Not sure at all about the F-Type as I have no experience with them.
The module on 5.0 cars is the battery monitor, which is attached between the car and the negative battery terminal and (as the name suggests) keeps an eye on the battery's state of charge - if the output is low, it tells the ECU, which can then start turning off nonessential services in order to keep the car running. If you connect a charger or tender directly to the negative terminal, the monitor cannot 'see' the charge going in to the battery because the current does not flow through it, so it gets an incorrect indication of the state of charge.

I would assume that the 5.0 F-Type has the same (or a similar) module, since it seems to be a part of the 5.0 system.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
bobdr1 (12-15-2014), ldmack3 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The module on 5.0 cars is the battery monitor, which is attached between the car and the negative battery terminal and (as the name suggests) keeps an eye on the battery's state of charge - if the output is low, it tells the ECU, which can then start turning off nonessential services in order to keep the car running. If you connect a charger or tender directly to the negative terminal, the monitor cannot 'see' the charge going in to the battery because the current does not flow through it, so it gets an incorrect indication of the state of charge.

I would assume that the 5.0 F-Type has the same (or a similar) module, since it seems to be a part of the 5.0 system.
Okay, so when my ctek arrives I am suppose to hook up the red positive connector to the battery terminal as in the original pix from richzak and the black negative connector to some bolt somewhere else, not on the battery for my 2010 5.0? Suggestions as to where to hook up black connector please.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara

That would explain a lot. I will modify the installation and report back.

Thanks very much for this info. Wish the dealer knew.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
Okay, so when my ctek arrives I am suppose to hook up the red positive connector to the battery terminal as in the original pix from richzak and the black negative connector to some bolt somewhere else, not on the battery for my 2010 5.0? Suggestions as to where to hook up black connector please.

Look in the spare tire compartment and you will see a small stud sticking up. Put the neg terminal on that. I believe there is a picture in the OM showing the jumper points in the rear of the car. It's in the left hand plastic grill.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Look in the spare tire compartment and you will see a small stud sticking up. Put the neg terminal on that. I believe there is a picture in the OM showing the jumper points in the rear of the car. It's in the left hand plastic grill.
So you are suggesting that I hook the pos. to the jumper lead behind the plastic grill on the left hand rear panel. I found this as is in the OM, it is covered by a rubber cap. I looked in the spare compartment but can find no stud on the left hand side, there are 2 bolts coming up that the black foam container for the towing screw is attached to but nothing else. Can't I hook pos to pos battery terminal as shown in richzak's pix and hook neg to some other bolt somewhere back there that's attached to frame, or can I hook it to one of the bolts that black foam container is attached to?

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation