Rolleiflex 2.8 vs. Automat 3.5 vs. Graflex XLW

pensacolaphoto

The Rolleilfex TLR cmeras are compact and have good lenses. The other

advantage is the excellent film advance mechanism that pretty much is fool proof.

The lens has typically 75mm/80mm focal length, corresponding to what people

refer to as a normal lens. Here, the debate between the Tessar and the Planar is

not new. The Automat seems to be lighter.

The Graflex XLW is a wide angle camera without a viewfinder or rangefinder. Its

lens is a 47mm/8, which is slowbut gives on a 6x9 back the 35mm equivalent of a

21mm lens.

Each of these three cameras has some advantages and some disadvantages for

a travel camera, in addition to taking a 35mm camera.

Have I missed any important factor(s) that should help me decide which camera to

take along?<div>00POeu-43330184.JPG.31fb3e35d44bb81165e913278eeded24.JPG</div>

Jorge,

This is a very interesting suggestion and it makes a lot of sense. Either use MF and stuick with it or use 35mm and don't mix in a MF camera. I have a difficulty envision myself using both systems with the same efficiency as if I were to use only one of them.

Antonio: "They" have opinions that can shed some light on factors that I have not considered. Your input does not help much, does it?

<p align="justify">

In this case (I don't know how important this trip is for you) I would totally narrowed the choice: either the Graflex or the Rolleiflexes. Being "stuck" with one type camera has its own advantage. You're forced to be creative with the tool you have in your hands at that very moment. Also the thrill of working with limited tool is a part of photography. A challenge. Often you ended with images you never have had taken if you had more camera choice. And if that's not the case, you still can learn from those images to improve them the next time. To me personally, this is photography. Good luck and don't forget to share the images.</p>

I recently took a photo trip to photograph buildings and markets and took only my 2.8F

Rolleiflex. It did remarkably well for sharpness and tonality but I am annoyed by the

difficulty in shooting buildings and getting a natural feel to the converging lines and

making a photo seem straight and not crooked.

Raid,

My suggestion is that some things one is best thinking about and deciding oneself. Do

you think Kappa or Avedon went to their local photo club to ask for advice on what

camera to shoot? What would be the point? All you get from asking other folks is a

range of opinions about what would be best for them. Photography is not a checklist of

things you have to consider, but a journey you take and you make your way as you go

along.

Yes that I agree with Antonio but I have to wonder why you are here giving your

opinion.

Raid I didn't want to haul my view camera stuff to mexico and walk the crowded streets

with it. So I took the Rollei. My reason for stating my experience is that if that sort of

thing is a concern for the OPr then the 75mm or wide angle lens might be even worse.

It did make me think that it is probably why Brett Weston liked to use the Rollei SL66

with the tiltable front standard.

Dennis

Dennis said: "Yes that I agree with Antonio but I have to wonder why you are here giving your opinion. "

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis: I am a statistician, and by training, I am used to collect information and then make a decision regarding some action.

Do I really "need" this information. Not really.

Could I possibly benefit from someone else's experiences? Maybe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis said: "Raid I didn't want to haul my view camera stuff to mexico and walk the crowded streets with it. So I took the Rollei. My reason for stating my experience is that if that sort of thing is a concern for the OPr then the 75mm or wide angle lens might be even worse. It did make me think that it is probably why Brett Weston liked to use the Rollei SL66 with the tiltable front standard. Dennis"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis: There will be no high rise buildings to take photos of where I will travel, so some distortion may occur, but not much. With your goal to take photos of buildings, a lens that is best suited for architecture would have been more to your likings.

People, Be that as it may; There is not much to decide to take the 2.8. It's fast, light, and incredibly sharp. Now, the XLW on the other hand is perfect for the types of pictures you described. Taking both cameras is no big deal. Taking a 35 mm camera (asuming interchangeable lenses) on the other hand requires you spend too much time changing parts. You will not have the time to do it AND enjoy your trip. Take the same film for both cameras. The 47mm Schneider is very sharp also and color wise similar to the 2.8.

You might want to trade or replace the XLW with a Brooks Veriwide 100, which has the same 47mm lens , but is a much more compacrt camera. It also take a leica viewfinder specially made for the camera. The Veriwide is smaller, a little larger than a Nikon FM. Strangly enough it also takes Rollei alligator straps.

Raid:

I don't understand your question.You're a seasoned photographer and in the past as I remember, you took your students to Europe for photography classes.Which cameras did you tell your students to carry?

If your trip is short, I would carry a digital for snapshots of family and friends. If you're planing a long stay, an 8x10 will do the job.

Is this thread a way to show off your mint condition cameras?

Raid, ignore the goofoid critics. Photo.net discussion forums are for discussing.

I have a similar dilemma. I'm going on a mountain backpacking trip in early July. In past years on similar trips I've taken a Century Graphic with two or three lenses, a couple of backs, and a tripod. The ridiculous weight was worth it to me, since my main purpose was photography.

Over the last two years I've realized that 90% of my keepers were shot with my normal lens (a 105 Symmar), so this year I'm bringing just my Rolleicord Vb (i.e. Xenar) and a monopod, and we'll see how I get along. I'll miss the interchangeable backs (which you incidentally have on your XLSW) but I'll be able to work faster. So if I were you, I'd take the Rollei Planar. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

• 1 month later...