• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I've just done a side mission that took me 2h with a break in the middle (quick resume works now! Yesss! also, in the middle of a flight with energy saving mode) and I BARELY (spoiler: EXACTLY) took 36 photos and 4 clips.

It was THAT good.

Now, if only these would count towards any photo contest. lmao

Will report tomorrow and probably lose all the work's morning to choosing what photos to post.

Have a couple clips in the meantime (the fourth one doesn't want to upload so fuck it).

Did someone ever say clouds were downgraded with the latest upgrade? Yeah, nope.

I'll always vote for you.

$5000 per vote. Leave it in an unmarked envelope behind the 'happy toilet' in the Lihue Airport men's bathroom before voting ends. No refunds.

LOL

And Descent was a cool game, but I only ever played with keyboard.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I didnt think I'd be the one who needed the time extension the most, haha.

Unsurprisingly, I already knew the airport setup, so I enjoyed the flight between the clouds towards east and was hunting for 20 minutes for my lightning picture that I really wanted to get on tape and then lowered myself down to unlock PHLI with a soft butter smooth landing.

I couldnt not take any of the purdy purdy sky pictures:
iUHMp7p.png

And this is my contest entry:
0SbN0Yj.png

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Now I know what you guys went on about with those voices in your head. My head suddenly started spinning after I landed and I simultaneously heard the words wahi and "show tribute" getting louder and louder, until my head was ready to burst and I grabbed the yoke,ready to pull my ears off, before it suddenly became quiet again.

Hawaii is beautiful and intense... I wonder what other challenges await us here...

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm Prove yourself and show tribute at the garden of the gods (August 1st)? Feels like Wheel of Fortune lol

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
And by Descent do you mean 1995 video game Descent? That takes me back.

Yessir, that's the one! I replayed all the games a few years ago (Descent 3 hasn't aged that well but the first two are great thanks to DXX-Rebirth) and have also played a couple of spiritual cousins/successors over the years, so I got my money's worth out of the Saitek for sure.

And Descent was a cool game, but I only ever played with keyboard.

Yeah, that was me for the longest time too. I actually got pretty good at it before I finally switched to joystick. You can do pretty much anything with the keyboard (except super precise aiming, but nothing can really do that except mouse), it's just nicer on the joystick.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Side Mission 5

After 4 unsuccessful tries of getting a mission, the fifth one actually got through and it sent me to Miami! From north east to south west and it was great and different.

c6pr4MH.jpg

First it looked like the typical American town, interesting as a bag of potatoes.

LLCruDx.jpg

VFILqnI.jpg

But it actually got better, it changes to kinda weird.

vusyv0R.jpg

To having really interesting places that looked gorgeous.

FoMxNS4.jpg

TkigTg2.jpg

MhaIzn3.jpg

And here I am on my way to the airport. Mission accomplished! With flightstick!

2I7Tvrd.jpg

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Side Mission 5

After 4 unsuccessful tries of getting a mission, the fifth one actually got through and it sent me to Miami! From north east to south west and it was great and different.

c6pr4MH.jpg

First it looked like the typical American town, interesting as a bag of potatoes.

LLCruDx.jpg

VFILqnI.jpg

But it actually got better, it changes to kinda weird.

vusyv0R.jpg

To having really interesting places that looked gorgeous.

FoMxNS4.jpg

TkigTg2.jpg

MhaIzn3.jpg

And here I am on my way to the airport. Mission accomplished! With flightstick!

2I7Tvrd.jpg
I tend to forget how crazily planned US cities look compared to EU ones. Wow, that seemed like architecture hell at first.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Optional Mission
O Canada

A nice simple mission this time. Off to Yorkton, Saskatchewan for a quick flight south. There are some lakes that look a bit algae-infested.
The Canadian EPA want someone to check that nothing dodgy is going on.
We start at a nice airport, with clear skies, in the daytime.
Screenshot-2021-08-09-o5-1.png

It's a bit windy (more on that story, later), but we're (almost) flying into it so takeoff is really quick and easy.
Screenshot-2021-08-09-o5-2.png

I should check on that later, but I've got some lakes to see.
Canada looks pretty. We get to Cresent Lake and the water is so clear you could drink it. The EPA will be happy.
Screenshot-2021-08-09-o5-3.png

I choose a different airport for landing, CJV9, Melville Municipal. It's a pretty basic affair, with 2 runways (or 4 if you count both ways).
At first I pick runway 28, as recommended. Then I decide it's time to live a bit more dangerously and take Runway 20.
Let's see how the CAP10 handles a crosswind. It's a big one, 32 knots at roughly 2 o'clock.
As soon as I put down flaps, I get blown off course to the left.
This is my approach angle as I wind the flaps back up and give the engine some beans to fight the wind and keep a "straight" approach to the runway.
Screenshot-2021-08-09-o5-5.png

I have to maintain this angle all the way in as I slow down again to land. I left the runway a bit during braking, but quickly got back on again before stopping. There's no ATC tower here, so I'm sure no-one noticed. Those marks on the grass must be from rogue moles... or maybe some armadillo stowaways. Besides, you saw my flight plan, it clearly shows I landed on Runway 28.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Off to Yorkton, Saskatchewan

Hey cool, I had to do shortage over in Melville for CN and I stayed at Yorkton lol. I'll just say I'm glad I'm back home in B.C. is all, but Melville was better than Saskatoon.

My trip for the day started me in France again and off I went to Beaumont airport. This trip was far nicer than the first one as there were some pretty cool hills and new sights as I chased the sun as it dipped over the horizon of each hill.

fIKhAAI.jpg

JUIE4f4.jpg

ylaCvwQ.jpg

Kk8m1qD.jpg

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Side Mission #5

USAF INSTALLATION. ALL CIVIL ACFT OPERATORS MUST HAVE A CURRENT CIVIL AIRCRAFT LANDING PERMIT (CALP) BEFORE A PPR CAN BE ISSUED. IAW AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 10-1001 (HTTP://STATIC.E-PUBLISHING.AF.MIL/PRODUCTION/1/AF_A3_5/PUBLICATION/AFI10-1001/AFI10-1001.PDF) AT LEAST 30 DAYS PRIOR TO FIRST INTENDED LANDING. FAILURE TO OBTAIN AND HAVE ONBOARD APPROVED CALP WILL RESULT IN FINES LEVIED AGAINST VIOLATORS AND REPORTS FORWARDED TO THE FAA FSDO AND U.S. ATTORNEY'S OFFICE IAW 32 CFR 855 AND USAF OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS.

That's a whole lot of caps lock for a place that looks like the neighborhood hill for the annual soapbox derby.

AzrBlGY.jpg

Admittedly, this soapbox derby has spectacular views. Unfortunately, it also has big brother and sister mountains all around it, which I realized very quickly when I began to head southwest:

SZZPT9L.jpg

Cape Newenham is an isolated area, and the airport is unmanned. It's here pretty much just for site maintenance, and as you can see above, there's a whole lot of paperwork you need just to land here. I'm here picking up the poor handyperson who had to come out here to fix up the radar system. Turns out the place used to be part of the early warning system looking out for Russian attacks. Not really a big issue anymore, thankfully, so barely anyone ever comes here anymore. Shame.

Bu5M5F9.jpg

For some reason the posting mentioned flying southwest; I can only assume it's because of the amazing shot of the landscape, because otherwise there's nothing out there until you hit the Aleutian islands. This was supposed to be a short hop, though, so I turned the plane all the way around and headed northeast to my passenger's next destination: a private access airfield connected to a mining facility in Platinum, Alaska. I couldn't tell if the mine was a platinum mine or if they named the nearby town Platinum for other reasons; the handyperson wasn't really a talkative person, so I didn't really get anything out of him. Maybe that's why they send him on these fixer uppers out in the middle of nowhere all the time.

dPRxlI2.jpg

2j7Swlp.jpg

Coming in to land, it was clear that the "runway" was really just a large stretch of wider-than-usual road. Still, better than some of the places I've had to land, and neat geology to boot.

IYs9z9W.jpg

I looked it up later, and it turns out this was indeed a platinum mining operation. Emphasis on "was"; the site was shut down in 1990 and later sold to another company intending to process the platinum tailings left behind from the original operation. The whole thing ended up being a debacle; the company and its officials were indicted for conspiring to violate the Clean Water Act and submitting false statements, only to have the government later ask for the charges to be dismissed because they were still trying to extradite its Australian owners and no longer believed the company to exist.

mTT1epX.jpg

But if that's the case, what was my passenger there to fix? I didn't really pay a lot of attention at the time; he just left the plane and walked over to where I assumed the mining operations were. He had to be a legit repairperson, because if he wasn't, how'd he get on that military airfield on Cape Newenham, and why would I have had all that paperwork approved to pick him up? But it WAS kind of weird that someone tasked to repair a radar system would then move on to fixing mining equipment, right? All complete mysteries to me, but hey, the check cleared. I was pretty sure it wasn't dirty money.

Probably.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Since Toma gave the go-ahead for catchup side missions, here's a couple for me lol.

First flight is from VAKD Khandwa Airport in India down to Burhanpur.

d62EJPJ.jpg

First off, there appear to be either lights in all these fields or it's a map glitch, but I was intrigued. Could they before for theft prevention or keeping animals away? Research turned up nothing conclusive.

786PxlG.jpg

B1eCyQR.jpg

hF9ieUW.jpg

All in all, and I know India is huge but given the population I was surprised at how much relatively empty space there was. Coming from Canada which is also large but with a tiny tiny fraction of the population I figured the difference would be a bit more pronounced. I wonder if I am just underestimating how dense cities are in general.

And today's side-mission takes us to the SVIE Airport Andres Miguel Salazar Marcano off an island of Venezuela. Luckily the direction it chose took me over an island to the northwest for some airshow acrobatics by what I can only presume was a resort. Looking it up, this mfer is Isla de Margarita that HAS to be a resort!

6Sa1uZJ.jpg

EAm4Bvf.jpg

1RjmRzW.jpg

q9xIcwd.jpg

UUILmud.jpg

iua5n91.jpg

Mission #8
OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Results from your last task:

If you finished the task: You get $6000 to your account and add 1 to your mission counter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning!
You seem to have weathered the storm just fine! Lono seems to be happy with your tribute, haha. I wouldnt be surprised if the gods already found a way to speak to you and they sometimes have their... ways with young adventurers on the island. So if you happen to randomly get messages, it probably is a good idea to follow up on them and prove to them that you can prove yourself worthy by showing bravery, companionship, creativity and generally having a good heart.

Kaulu is our trickster god and he is one of the mightiest beings on these islands. He struck the waves to make them smaller and tore huge dog monsters to pieces, so they became the size of our dogs today. To this day he cant keep himself from confusing and harming people if he feels like it, but he isnt known to do it to people who play along with him, so I can suggest a few ideas that should allow you to be safe from him having his ways with you on your travels to Oahu. You can just take any plane ride from one of our airports. I am sure there are flights with all types of planes available!

And when you have the time, feel free to explore our islands from the airports you already visited!
Kaili

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission:
  1. Navigational aids are not working (no VFR map or positional markers). Choose any unlocked plane, any weather and fuel setting and finish and document the following three tricks in Hawaii:
    • Create water ripples with your plane wheels
    • Irritate another plane by being very, very close to it.
    • Fly close to the ground/water with your plane upside down
  2. ...and land again safely after finishing each trick. You dont need to do all three in succession. Successfully finishing one and landing safely afterwards counts as checkpoint for a task.

3. After you are done, get to an airport and take any of the FS 2020 planes over to Oahu. Community Bonus: 10 Submitted Tasks. Time: 72 hours.
Mechanics:
You can choose any unlocked airport to venture off on your own in case there are some sights and sites you want to explore. But for some reason, you notice that none of your navigational aids except your compass seem to work in the vicinity of the gods on Hawaii.

Voting:
Top 3 voted pictures will get an extra bonus as usual. You can vote for up to 3 pictures, each getting a single scoring point. You cannot vote for your own.
#1 CampFreddie :
Screenshot-2021-08-07-M7-11.png

#2 Flambe:
fzru9fK.jpg

#3 Blargg
fRTGusH.jpg

#4 Edge
e181dc10-77a5-4468-8783-8ad980e44d6c.png

#5 Orion117
C9yyOCC.jpg

#6 chrominance
DmxCiho.png

#7 ilikesanta :
9ldArF4.png

#8 Adryuu:
cb71698d-005e-48e5-95be-29d9b8af27ad.png

#9 Toma
0SbN0Yj.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Side Mission #5

That's a whole lot of caps lock for a place that looks like the neighborhood hill for the annual soapbox derby.

AzrBlGY.jpg

Admittedly, this soapbox derby has spectacular views. Unfortunately, it also has big brother and sister mountains all around it, which I realized very quickly when I began to head southwest:

SZZPT9L.jpg

Cape Newenham is an isolated area, and the airport is unmanned. It's here pretty much just for site maintenance, and as you can see above, there's a whole lot of paperwork you need just to land here. I'm here picking up the poor handyperson who had to come out here to fix up the radar system. Turns out the place used to be part of the early warning system looking out for Russian attacks. Not really a big issue anymore, thankfully, so barely anyone ever comes here anymore. Shame.

Bu5M5F9.jpg

For some reason the posting mentioned flying southwest; I can only assume it's because of the amazing shot of the landscape, because otherwise there's nothing out there until you hit the Aleutian islands. This was supposed to be a short hop, though, so I turned the plane all the way around and headed northeast to my passenger's next destination: a private access airfield connected to a mining facility in Platinum, Alaska. I couldn't tell if the mine was a platinum mine or if they named the nearby town Platinum for other reasons; the handyperson wasn't really a talkative person, so I didn't really get anything out of him. Maybe that's why they send him on these fixer uppers out in the middle of nowhere all the time.

dPRxlI2.jpg

2j7Swlp.jpg

Coming in to land, it was clear that the "runway" was really just a large stretch of wider-than-usual road. Still, better than some of the places I've had to land, and neat geology to boot.

IYs9z9W.jpg

I looked it up later, and it turns out this was indeed a platinum mining operation. Emphasis on "was"; the site was shut down in 1990 and later sold to another company intending to process the platinum tailings left behind from the original operation. The whole thing ended up being a debacle; the company and its officials were indicted for conspiring to violate the Clean Water Act and submitting false statements, only to have the government later ask for the charges to be dismissed because they were still trying to extradite its Australian owners and no longer believed the company to exist.

mTT1epX.jpg

But if that's the case, what was my passenger there to fix? I didn't really pay a lot of attention at the time; he just left the plane and walked over to where I assumed the mining operations were. He had to be a legit repairperson, because if he wasn't, how'd he get on that military airfield on Cape Newenham, and why would I have had all that paperwork approved to pick him up? But it WAS kind of weird that someone tasked to repair a radar system would then move on to fixing mining equipment, right? All complete mysteries to me, but hey, the check cleared. I was pretty sure it wasn't dirty money.

Probably.
That looks pretty cool, looks like a neat little area to explore and take cool pictures of.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Boy losing airspeed while paused is sure a bummer in this one lol. Have gotten some great shots at high enough speed but by the time I take screenshot it is down to 80 or less and that's tough to recover from lol.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Boy losing airspeed while paused is sure a bummer in this one lol. Have gotten some great shots at high enough speed but by the time I take screenshot it is down to 80 or less and that's tough to recover from lol.
Yeah, its tough. If you are on xbox, you could use the video rewind feature though if you cant manage with the usual means.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Voting for #9 (got to reward that lightning photo), #5, #4

I just wanted to say (I had it already in mind but forgot last time) that recently (with mission #7) I've seen amazing photos in posts that then do not end as submissions for the contest! It's a shame, and it's my subjective taste, but most of you had a better photo for the contest than what you actually ended up submitting, and that's just my opinion. No examples right now, sorry, but I remember thinking that a couple times at least. :)

Coming soon: losing a lot of time (when I have the time to lose) to browse through 36 photos of (mostly) the clouds above Norway to pick up a decently small chunk of photos to post for my last side mission.

• Irritate another plane by being very, very close to it.

Wait... can this be with a parked plane? I've so far never seen another plane in the air. I see them in the maps but they are never visible ingame yet.

Yesterday I set up two new control shortcuts.
One: de/activating drone camera without having to open the bloody cursor mode menu. Already an advantage.
Two: de/activating plane controls while in drone camera. You can fix the trajectory if the plane gets disoriented while in drone camera because of the wind, momentum, gravity, etc.

The bad side of this is that you can't control the camera while in drone camera mode with plane controls enabled. But I don't have to use active pause anymore (unless I want to do a photo of something stationary and near, like a building) and it also grants the ability to capture nice clips/gifs.

Last edited:

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
most of you had a better photo for the contest than what you actually ended up submitting

I'm probably in there but I liked the one I submitted more because of the emotional resonance of the story but yeah photo contest not story contest lol =)

Also, for others doing new mission, I think if you switch really fast into drone mode, take your pic, then as soon as you exit drone mode unpause it as well.

I don't think drone mode sucks your speed down so if you spend less time in just Active pause itself you are in better shape lol.

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Oh I wasn't going to join the contest and just enjoy the pretty pictures but I see you've chosen my entry for me Toma :D

Think I have my top three set, I'll wait on voting in case my opinion gets swayed...somehow *upwards nod to other pilots*

Have a couple clips in the meantime (the fourth one doesn't want to upload so fuck it).
Wow gorgeous cloud footage! And I kinda want the gentle rumble of a Cessna 152 as my brown noise now...it's quite soothing.

Yessir, that's the one! I replayed all the games a few years ago (Descent 3 hasn't aged that well but the first two are great thanks to DXX-Rebirth) and have also played a couple of spiritual cousins/successors over the years, so I got my money's worth out of the Saitek for sure.
I remember getting real disorientated when playing Descent for the first time, there wasn't anything like it! I also enjoyed Terminal Velocity from the same year, I had this keyboard overlay for it which I thought was totally sweet lol.

Now look at MSFS2020, games have come a long way.

I just wanted to say (I had it already in mind but forgot last time) that recently (with mission #7) I've seen amazing photos in posts that then do not end as submissions for the contest! It's a shame, and it's my subjective taste, but most of you had a better photo for the contest than what you actually ended up submitting, and that's just my opinion. No examples right now, sorry, but I remember thinking that a couple times at least. :)
Yeah mine is not the best, I didn't submit that (didn't take any contest shots) and wasn't going to enter at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Voting for #9 (got to reward that lightning photo), #5, #4

Coming soon: losing a lot of time (when I have the time to lose) to browse through 36 photos of (mostly) the clouds above Norway to pick up a decently small chunk of photos to post for my last side mission.

Wait... can this be with a parked plane? I've so far never seen another plane in the air. I see them in the maps but they are never visible ingame yet.

Yesterday I set up two new control shortcuts.
One: de/activating drone camera without having to open the bloody cursor mode menu. Already an advantage.
Two: de/activating plane controls while in drone camera. You can fix the trajectory if the plane gets disoriented while in drone camera because of the wind, momentum, gravity, etc.

The bad side of this is that you can't control the camera while in drone camera mode with plane controls enabled. But I don't have to use active pause anymore (unless I want to do a photo of something stationary and near, like a building) and it also grants the ability to capture nice clips/gifs.

Please the gods however you see fit. I am not the one to judge you.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
I voted 6, 7 and 9.

Alright, here we go! I'd just like to preface this saying the CAP-10 is starting to become a pretty hefty regret lol. It's nice while in the air but boy do takeoffs and landings SUCK.

After some failed attempts around Barking Sands, I decided to try my luck around Haiku airstrip. It is a quick flight over to Nawiliwili Bay to showboat in front of the Marriott. As PHLI was right there I decided to land there in preparation for the next challenge, also wider runways.

YUKzZcv.jpg

ZB3eR7Q.jpg

Boy this one was fun, I got some great shots that unfortunately don't count but you can see them here:

4LvHJMz.jpg

c0AYpHL.jpg

RWmcrca.jpg

But finally I was able to nail an attempt that was good enough =P I went around and landed again at Lihue airport but despite the wide runways still managed to get some grass on the damn wheels. Stupid plane..

axfZwf5.jpg

lVSQmR3.jpg

Lastly I found this poor sucker and going with the theme of the day decided an inverted buzz was in order.

5RWQAjc.jpg

After a couple passes, I landed and taxied over for one last shot but it seems I did the 'annoying' bit a little too well. He was nowhere to be found.

bE9vHQs.jpg

(If grounded planes don't count lemme know Toma and I can do another one in the air)
Bonus airliner buzzing!
I chased this poor guy around as he was trying to do a landing pattern, obviously he's a lot faster so catching up wasn't working. I did the next best thing, cut him off at the pass!

bhL7MTe.jpg

f90vHTC.jpg

dYXoxHl.jpg

It was the end of a long day, but I still had to make it to Oahu. Picking out a Beechcraft King Air 350i along with a few passengers on shore-leave should do the trick nicely. I took off from Barking Sands as the sun drifted lower and lower beneath the horizon.

UBvkvSz.jpg

Lq2NF3k.jpg

cKAVVFD.jpg

It was getting quite dark and it was a big ocean, but I knew if I kept an E-SE bearing I should be able to pick out some activity. Before too long, and thanks to the dwindling daylight, it was quite easy.

srrUg2z.jpg

Now I knew the first airport I came to along the coast was a bit smaller than the international airport further south but it lined up quite nicely and I wasn't flying anything too fast so I decided to set down there.

DQO1q8h.jpg

BabMb6N.jpg

God this game is pretty

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I voted 6, 7 and 9.

Alright, here we go! I'd just like to preface this saying the CAP-10 is starting to become a pretty hefty regret lol. It's nice while in the air but boy do takeoffs and landings SUCK.

After some failed attempts around Barking Sands, I decided to try my luck around Haiku airstrip. It is a quick flight over to Nawiliwili Bay to showboat in front of the Marriott. As PHLI was right there I decided to land there in preparation for the next challenge, also wider runways.

YUKzZcv.jpg

ZB3eR7Q.jpg

Boy this one was fun, I got some great shots that unfortunately don't count but you can see them here:

4LvHJMz.jpg

c0AYpHL.jpg

RWmcrca.jpg

But finally I was able to nail an attempt that was good enough =P I went around and landed again at Lihue airport but despite the wide runways still managed to get some grass on the damn wheels. Stupid plane..

axfZwf5.jpg

lVSQmR3.jpg

Lastly I found this poor sucker and going with the theme of the day decided an inverted buzz was in order.

5RWQAjc.jpg

After a couple passes, I landed and taxied over for one last shot but it seems I did the 'annoying' bit a little too well. He was nowhere to be found.

bE9vHQs.jpg

(If grounded planes don't count lemme know Toma and I can do another one in the air)
Haha, I think flying planes might be more fun, but they don't show equally and can be a pain to find when you need one so I didn't require it. I hope somebody makes one though.

(Also remember that the last part of the mission is to fly over to Oahu)

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, yeah I'll probably try later and edit it in. Flying to Oahu now yeah I pulled the trigger on my list a bit early lol

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Think I have my top three set, I'll wait on voting in case my opinion gets swayed...somehow *upwards nod to other pilots*

Nah don't count on it. I wouldn't go anywhere with just one vote, hahaha.

Wow gorgeous cloud footage! And I kinda want the gentle rumble of a Cessna 152 as my brown noise now...it's quite soothing.

Wait until you see the other 36 photos. No, just kidding, I'm only posting here 8 or so, and some are not of the clouds. But they were especially breathtaking yesterday evening in Norway with live weather, I was really impressed and it was fun navigating between them, losing track of my objective. Plus as I had to take a break in the middle of the flight, when I came back it was a bit later and lighting changed and they were less orange and more brown, but still a maze to fly inside. Glorious.

About the clips, I wish I could control the camera too while in the drone view, not just the plane, because I can't find an option to turn off all hud in external view and even then if it doesn't have a binding available it's totally worthless in practice. Unless I'm mistaken in which case I'd be happy to be shown!

I remember getting real disorientated when playing Descent for the first time, there wasn't anything like it! I also enjoyed Terminal Velocity from the same year, I had this keyboard overlay for it which I thought was totally sweet lol.

Now look at MSFS2020, games have come a long way.

Yay I remembered Terminal Velocity too yesterday. I thought it looked gorgeous back then, hah. Such speed. Wow.

Hey at least it is one of the best I've tried for flying upside down and such acrobatics. With the Cessna, flying upside down NEAR the ground or water, that seems like suicide to me.

Haha, I think flying planes might be more fun, but they don't show equally and can be a pain to find when you need one so I didn't require it. I hope somebody makes one though.

(Also remember that the last part of the mission is to fly over to Oahu)

Hey if we land in different airports as checkpoints during this mission, do we unlock them for future missions in this chapter? Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, I don't know how much longer we will stay in Hawaii. Also, if so, could we use any unlocked airport to take off after one trick is completed? For example, trick 1 = trip from airport A to B, trick 2 = trip from A to C, trick 3 = trip from C to B, completion = trip from B to Oahu. Or all a seamless trip with breaks only.
Plus, is Oahu a given airport or just an island to find and we can land on whatever airport we find there? IF there even is more than one. I have not looked at maps for now, don't wanna see how many / where they are yet.

Sorry for throwing out so many questions lol. Let me streamline the questions.

- do the checkpoint airports get unlocked to use?
- do we have to take off from the same airport after a checkpoint?
- do we have to land on a particular Oahu airport?

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Nah don't count on it. I wouldn't go anywhere with just one vote, hahaha.

Wait until you see the other 36 photos. No, just kidding, I'm only posting here 8 or so, and some are not of the clouds. But they were especially breathtaking yesterday evening in Norway with live weather, I was really impressed and it was fun navigating between them, losing track of my objective. Plus as I had to take a break in the middle of the flight, when I came back it was a bit later and lighting changed and they were less orange and more brown, but still a maze to fly inside. Glorious.

About the clips, I wish I could control the camera too while in the drone view, not just the plane, because I can't find an option to turn off all hud in external view and even then if it doesn't have a binding available it's totally worthless in practice. Unless I'm mistaken in which case I'd be happy to be shown!

Yay I remembered Terminal Velocity too yesterday. I thought it looked gorgeous back then, hah. Such speed. Wow.

Hey at least it is one of the best I've tried for flying upside down and such acrobatics. With the Cessna, flying upside down NEAR the ground or water, that seems like suicide to me.

Hey if we land in different airports as checkpoints during this mission, do we unlock them for future missions in this chapter? Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, I don't know how much longer we will stay in Hawaii. Also, if so, could we use any unlocked airport to take off after one trick is completed? For example, trick 1 = trip from airport A to B, trick 2 = trip from A to C, trick 3 = trip from C to B, completion = trip from B to Oahu. Or all a seamless trip with breaks only.
Plus, is Oahu a given airport or just an island to find and we can land on whatever airport we find there? IF there even is more than one. I have not looked at maps for now, don't wanna see how many / where they are yet.

Sorry for throwing out so many questions lol. Let me streamline the questions.

- do the checkpoint airports get unlocked to use?
- do we have to take off from the same airport after a checkpoint?
- do we have to land on a particular Oahu airport?

Only the last airport you land on in a mission counts as unlocked airport.
You can use the airports within the mission as checkpoints and start from a different airport you already unlocked.
Pick any Oahu airport :)

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Okay added Oahu pics in, what a game

This is true, not sure if it is $30k true lol. It *is* nice flipping the little switch labeled 'stunt flaps'.. whatever that does ;p

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
If someone wants to try and bother each other in the air, I'm up for it. My tag is the same as in here (it's been in my screenshots all the time), my timezone is CEST and I don't know when I'll be available to play these 72h but usually some time from 17 CEST until 2.

Getting trick 1 done at the same time sounds fun. And I guess it counts. ;) If we stage a party/group I guess it will be the easiest way to find other planes in the air (I don't really know if it works that way lol).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Side Mission 6

Another day, another mission.
Even this one was 80% over water, it was probably my best one yet with amazing views and fantastic mountains and villages.

The mission gods send me to La Palma this time and I'm surprised how different the random locations can be. I mean, it's the whole world so it shouldn't be, but still, you'd think you have more bad luck with at least the same continents here and there, but so far, super different areas for me.

This was my flight plan for today.

LPDTAs1.jpg

Starting off didn't look so great and was a bit disappointing.

mcM6AT2.jpg

iHbZJhs.jpg

But I did what most would do in that situation, fly above the bad weather.

CToTcoT.jpg

The bad weather quickly gave up and I was on my way for the other island.

h60ECiC.jpg

The closer I got the more awesome it became. Pictures doesn't do this island justice, it looked amazing in motion here.

TQRh5OU.jpg

ki8rREx.jpg

RAYViOa.jpg

OkzKkuS.jpg

This place was especially gorgeous.

t6Gskhp.jpg

sFYD2pg.jpg

And right behind it was my goal and I've got 4000 bucks for the flight this time!

Db5iXF3.jpg

XhezHsU.jpg

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Picking out a Beechcraft King Air 350i along with a few passengers on shore-leave should do the trick nicely. I took off from Barking Sands as the sun drifted lower and lower beneath the horizon.

Shit, a Beechcraft. Private jets here I come. Or maybe an airbus lol.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Side Mission 6

Another day, another mission.
Even this one was 80% over water, it was probably my best one yet with amazing views and fantastic mountains and villages.

The mission gods send me to La Palma this time and I'm surprised how different the random locations can be. I mean, it's the whole world so it shouldn't be, but still, you'd think you have more bad luck with at least the same continents here and there, but so far, super different areas for me.

This was my flight plan for today.

LPDTAs1.jpg

Starting off didn't look so great and was a bit disappointing.

mcM6AT2.jpg

iHbZJhs.jpg

But I did what most would do in that situation, fly above the bad weather.

CToTcoT.jpg

The bad weather quickly gave up and I was on my way for the other island.

h60ECiC.jpg

The closer I got the more awesome it became. Pictures doesn't do this island justice, it looked amazing in motion here.

TQRh5OU.jpg

ki8rREx.jpg

RAYViOa.jpg

OkzKkuS.jpg

This place was especially gorgeous.

t6Gskhp.jpg

sFYD2pg.jpg

And right behind it was my goal and I've got 4000 bucks for the flight this time!

Db5iXF3.jpg

XhezHsU.jpg

So nice. The Canary islands have quite special features. You totally should have gone a bit further to see the Teide though, in the next island East. I visited it ingame (coming from Madeira so I also saw a lot of sea lol) and it was beautiful.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of work today, but it went fine in the end. So it's time for the side mission post!

Side Mission #3 or why it's good to say fuck it and change the specified direction sometimes

My randomized mission specified I should take off from ENKA (Kautokeino, Norway, despite the name looking more like Finnish, but it's actually quite near the border with Finland), and go southeast (I should have ended up in Finland indeed), and I was about to prepare to go to Lokka and view some lakes; but I actually figued that what the hell, I'm in range of Tromsø and I could go see the Arctic Church and the Tromsø bridge. I'm a sucker for Norway for different reasons and I had already been flying over Finland on my own before, so I had to go there. It was almost 100 NM too, so I was already putting a lot more effort into this than just following orders. I'm very glad I did because not only I had a very fun maze escape challenge inside a maze of clouds, but because the view above Norway during what was left of the day, and the evening once I came down from the clouds (including a several minute trip inside a huuuge dark orange cloud) were worth it too. Tromsø, the bridge and the cathedral at night are a nice bonus too.

So basically my objective was to fly north from Kautokeino, enter the cloud maze at 12k ft and survive it, descend and go west until landing at Tromsø later in the evening. Mission complete.

The photos. I took 36 of these, most are just clouds, which are prettier, but I'll document a bit all of the trip. If anyone is interested in seeing a lot more clouds photos, they exist. LOL Full 4k on click (imagebb).

The flight started like it was gonna be a calm evening, although with some distant thunder, but mostly clear. Yeah, right.

Then it was very covered and I thought it would be better to get higher. So true.

There were still some clearings that I took advantage of to get my bearings and heading right. No, it was only to take some more ground photos.

Then came the infinite cloud maze. Marvelous.

The trip had to end some time... When going below I went through a really big cloud that didn't let me see anything and it was actually scary. I had to drop altitude at a high speed and I didn't know what I would find down there, visibility was zero, the cloud was really, really tall. I almost stumble upon some mountain range, but I was lucky the cloud ended a bit before that. It was very dark now. I relaxed for a bit looking at the fjords in a slow cruise speed and reached my destination.

A view of the fjord

The Arctic Cathedral

Tromsø Bridge

A Journey's End (which makes me wish next side mission takes me to Ireland)

Also, quoting these clips that were taken during this trip.

PS: pls tell me how to stop uploading images nonstop, can't keep doing 15+ photo posts during work time lol

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Was getting frustrated with trying to fly upside down, so I to the next island over. Put on pause and took a nap then I finally arrived at the island. My engine was making a different noise turns out it was another plane.
ivPMrhb.jpg

They were flying upside down. They then attempted to do a loop-da-loop and crashed. I banked right to avoid the hill up ahead and my plane exploded. Sigh.

So who was this?

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Boy that's a familiar looking plane o.o

OTEGeFQ.jpg

XY0K7KK.jpg

F5H2tM1.jpg

YpB4BeS.jpg

I overshot you while trying to get a picture in the air, then tried to build enough airspeed for a loop... but yeah not so much at that altitude lol.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, it is amazing you guys saw each other explode randomly.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome pics, those clouds are something else =o

And yeah, it's hard to restrain yourself in this game, even with side missions lol.

Thank you very much!

Boy that's a familiar looking plane o.o

OTEGeFQ.jpg

XY0K7KK.jpg

F5H2tM1.jpg

YpB4BeS.jpg

I overshot you while trying to get a picture in the air, then tried to build enough airspeed for a loop... but yeah not so much at that altitude lol.

Eh that looks like good fun. But that's not close enough to the ground/water, wait until you see my clip, if fucking Xbox live let me upload it.

I also had a lot of fun taking spectacular clips of the water drifting, those are uploaded already.

So I just lack the other plane bothering trick. If someone's around Lihue airport and nearby beach right now, I'm fucking around with open players custom time live weather! It would be awesome. I'd go where you are if I knew where.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting frustrated with trying to fly upside down, so I to the next island over. Put on pause and took a nap then I finally arrived at the island. My engine was making a different noise turns out it was another plane.
ivPMrhb.jpg

They were flying upside down. They then attempted to do a loop-da-loop and crashed. I banked right to avoid the hill up ahead and my plane exploded. Sigh.

So who was this?
You technically can do the flying upside down a bit higher and don't need to be too daring. Just do it as close to the ground you can manage.:)

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
There is literally no other plane, parked or otherwise, at PHLI now which I can take a picture with lol, just my luck.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
There is literally no other plane, parked or otherwise, at PHLI now which I can take a picture with lol, just my luck.

Mine should be there! Just took off again. If not on the airport itself, on the water to the east of the mountain to the south. I've been there for a couple hours lol.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what server are you guys connected to? Wonder if that affects who we see out here

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to find you around! But sadly no dice and I gotta go soon. :(
Ah crummy, I saw you on the runway but then you disappeared. Not sure how if you're on console, on PC I go Escape into the main menu, then on the top right it has your name, click that and it brings a dropdown list that has a server

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ah crummy, I saw you on the runway but then you disappeared. Not sure how if you're on console, on PC I go Escape into the main menu, then on the top right it has your name, click that and it brings a dropdown list that has a server

Nice flying with you, gotta go now! I'll upload some clips. :)