Downloading & installing GB pro V2 custom scenery

Hi

I'm new to x-plane having recently bought the new beta version 11 which is working fine. I have seen some excellent add on scenery and in particular the GB pro V2 (Great Britain for VFR) looks good but it gives a list of requirements of various files and I don't know where to get these and what to do with them if I download them? Not got much of a clue really but know I need to put the scenery in the custom file, that's about all. I did see a file manager program for such downloads, do I need this and will it sort it all out?

Incidentally, I did ask a similar question under "support" but didn't seem to get a reply.

I would appreciate any help with this and downloading scenery in general.

Regards

Rod

Hello Rod much of the scenery you can most likely get via the downloads section of the org, airports, libraries, base mesh etc Just find the ones you need click download and off you go. If you are new I think there is a limit to how much you can download per day and some are pretty big so will take a while.When you have downloaded what you need, unzip and put the folders in your Custom Scenery folder. The order is then important, base HD mesh at the bottom, then things like gb2, then custom airports above all that. Libraries can go anywhere. Like building upwards from the ground so to speak. This needs to be reflected in the scenery.ini file which you will also find in the Custom Scenery folder, example scenery.ini attached. You can open and edit this with something like Notepad and the order must be as above or some things won't show up correctly. Once you know how it is quite easy... honest. Your log text will also help with identifying errors and you will find this in the main XP folder.

I hope this helps.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/category/165-libraries-for-scenery/

scenery_packs.zip

Hi and many thanks for your prompt reply but regret I didn't understand most of it. Yes indeed the scenery is from this forum and under the Great Britain scenery (World2xplane Pro), it states that the following are required:

World Models 0.7.6 or higher

OpenScenery x

R2 Library or

FF Library (Part of Knudsens installer).

I don't know what HD bottom mesh is, what the library files are, or indeed any of the other above files where I need to get the above files and if so, where to put them?

I DO know how to download the scenery file and put the unzipped file into custom scenery in Xplane 11, but I don't have a clue about all the other files or where to put them. I also don't follow when you say they must be on order?

Sorry, this is all new to me and I don't really have a clue how to do things. I think I need some sort of idiots step by step guide but I appreciate that members won't have the time or inclination to go though things in such detail. Maybe a good idea for a tutorial section for people like me?

Maybe I should forget about adding scenery since I don't want to mess up my x-pane 11 installation! since I don't know what I'm doing!

Thanks anyway.

Regards, Rod

9 hours ago, Rodders6 said:

Hi and many thanks for your prompt reply but regret I didn't understand most of it. Yes indeed the scenery is from this forum and under the Great Britain scenery (World2xplane Pro), it states that the following are required:

World Models 0.7.6 or higher

OpenScenery x

R2 Library or

FF Library (Part of Knudsens installer).

I don't know what HD bottom mesh is, what the library files are, or indeed any of the other above files where I need to get the above files and if so, where to put them?

I DO know how to download the scenery file and put the unzipped file into custom scenery in Xplane 11, but I don't have a clue about all the other files or where to put them. I also don't follow when you say they must be on order?

Sorry, this is all new to me and I don't really have a clue how to do things. I think I need some sort of idiots step by step guide but I appreciate that members won't have the time or inclination to go though things in such detail. Maybe a good idea for a tutorial section for people like me?

Maybe I should forget about adding scenery since I don't want to mess up my x-pane 11 installation! since I don't know what I'm doing!

Thanks anyway.

Regards, Rod

I think you may already know more than you think...  ;) did you have a look in the scenery.ini file or the links I sent you as this shows how you need to make sure the scenery folders are ordered in the right manner and where you will find most of the scenery. 

In my Custom Scenery folder I order them by modifying the file names slightly by adding a prefix, a or z for example but many people prefer to just modify the scenery.ini file directly. You can't really go wrong if you just add stuff to the Custom Scenery folder as you can just delete it with out impacting the rest of the sim. XP is very friendly that way.

Do you think you have all the scenery you need? If so can you send me your scenery.ini file (inside your Custom Scenery folder) and I will have a look for you. We can then go from there. If you can also send me your log.txt file (inside the main XP folder) that would also help. You can attach them to this  message.

I am sure we can get you up and running in 2 shakes of a lambs tail! At first it is a bit confusing, but once you get the hang of it it is pretty straight forward.  There is some stuff in the manual under Expanding XPlane that may also help, link below and I have added a few screenshots of my Custom Scenery Folder so you can get  a feel for what I am on about.

http://www.x-plane.com/manuals/desktop/

BTW... very happy to help as you will find are many people in the forum. Another thing I like about XP ?.

Cheers,

Stuart

Custom_Scenery_4.jpg

Custom_Scenery_1.jpg

Custom_Scenery_2.jpg

Custom_Scenery_3.jpg

Custom_Scenery_5.jpg

I'm going to jump in on this thread too....I'm a Mac user and not technical by any means...but I believe I have downloaded Ortho4XP and wxp2 correctly, but what I'm not sure what to do from there.  The read me.txt on Ortho mentions something that sounds totally greek to me:  

"do not forget to make the files Ortho4XP.py and Triangle4XP.app executable.
   chmod a+x ./Ortho4XP.py ./Utils/Triangle4XP.app from within a terminal in
   the main Ortho4XP dir. "

I have no idea what that means. 

Also should Ortho4XP itself be in the Custom Scenery Folder, or elsewhere?

Hi Scottish Wings, you have certainly given me plenty to look at and think about! I have just downloaded the XAddonmanager-V 2.0.0 Don't know if it will help but so do I unzip this to the custom scenery folder? I have not as yet downloaded the Great Britain scenery until I know how to use this addon manager or indeed how big the file is.

I have two main reasons for wanting this scenery, the first because it is the UK and looks very good. The second is my old computer is coping very well considering (AMD Phenom ii x4 960T and GTX 750 Ti with 8Gig Ram) and with the number of objects set to high, the other settings medium, I am still getting 25-30 FPS so I need to check this with added scenery to see if the frame rate remains acceptable. If and when I need to upgrade my PC taking into account cost Vs performance I think a good compromise will be an i5 6600K and a GTX 1070?

I appreciate all the time and trouble you have gone to and will let you know if I have problems which I suspect will be highly likely!

Kind regards

Rod

Hi again SW, just an update and some progress! I now have downloaded on my HD (but still compressed) the following files which I obtained from Sim Heaven (except the GB one)

gbpro

OpenSceneryX-Installer Windows

R2_Library_v2

w2xp_world-models (7Z file)

XAddonManger-2.0.0 Windows

I don't know if these are correct, if I need all of them and I suspect I need others? I don't know what a 7Z file is but do I also put this in the custom scenery folder? You also mentioned they need to be in order? Maybe the addon manager will do this for me?

Sorry to be a pest!

Rod

Hi folks,

I've spend several hours over two days trying to get this Great Britain Pro to work and whatever I do, no joy. I've tried changing the order on the ini.file several times and run the open scenery installer in the custom location which produced a large file, then I deleted the installer part but still no difference. When I launched X-plane 11 I got a message saying "Alert, your download may be corrupt or required missing files" (or a similar message, so I had to remove all of it to get x plane to work at all. I've even tried the XaddonManger with the same results, so it must be me!

I don't understand why many say it is easy to do since I just cannot get it to work so I'm going to give it up as a bad job and I think I'll have to stick to payware if an installer is included such as that on Steam for FSX.

Cheers

Rod

Without the sim log.txt file nobody can help you - it shows what is or isn't loading, error messages, all sorts of other relevant details. So please attach it...

Hi Brett, thanks for your prompt reply. I have deleted all the files I had added to the custom scenery in order to get x-plane to work at all, but it is working ok now with the default scenery. I still don't understand why there are any files in the custom folder since I expected all default files to be in the global folder, but just shows what I know!

I've attached the log file which seems very large and doesn't mean anything to me but then x-plane is new to me. I'm still not sure what other programs/files I need or what order they are supposed to be in but it all seems more trouble than it's worth, but I will be interested to know why it wouldn't work if anyone can follow this gobbledigook!

Many thanks

Rod

Log.txt

38 minutes ago, Rodders6 said:

Hi Brett, thanks for your prompt reply. I have deleted all the files I had added to the custom scenery in order to get x-plane to work at all, but it is working ok now with the default scenery. I still don't understand why there are any files in the custom folder since I expected all default files to be in the global folder, but just shows what I know!

I've attached the log file which seems very large and doesn't mean anything to me but then x-plane is new to me. I'm still not sure what other programs/files I need or what order they are supposed to be in but it all seems more trouble than it's worth, but I will be interested to know why it wouldn't work if anyone can follow this gobbledigook!

Many thanks

Rod

Log.txt

Rod PM me

Hi Brett and thanks for the feedback. I've installed this more than once but may have used the same download. I'll re-download and try it again. I'm still confused about all the other stuff I am supposed to put on with it but will see what the new download does before I worry about those.

Cheers

Rod

Hi folks,

I've re-downloaded and installed the world2x plane for Great Britain again and think I have the load order now correct but I keep getting the same error that stops x-plane working. If I choose a location outside the UK, it works as normal.

My inifile is:

1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EBBR Brussels/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGBB Birmingham/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGKK London-Gatwick/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGPF Glasgow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGSS London-Stansted/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEBL Barcelona/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEMD Madrid/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPG Paris CDG/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LSGG Genf/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/w2xp_world-models/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/R2_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/OpenSceneryX/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/gbpro/

Hope someone can spot the problem but suspect it's me that's done something wrong. First time I've tried to add any scenery.

Regards

Rod

Log.txt

It's still not installed correctly, you've got a million errors related to objects that it's looking for in the gbpro package in several different subfolders.

Thanks, but does that mean that the addon GB file is faulty? I simply extracted it to the x-plane custom folder so is there anything I can do? I don't understand what the problem is.

38 minutes ago, Rodders6 said:

Hi folks,

I've re-downloaded and installed the world2x plane for Great Britain again and think I have the load order now correct but I keep getting the same error that stops x-plane working. If I choose a location outside the UK, it works as normal.

My inifile is:

1000 Version
SCENERY

Hope someone can spot the problem but suspect it's me that's done something wrong. First time I've tried to add any scenery.

Regards

Rod

Log.txt

I'd put gbpro above w2xp_world-models 

You still miss FF_Library from the list

17 minutes ago, Rodders6 said:

Thanks, but does that mean that the addon GB file is faulty? I simply extracted it to the x-plane custom folder so is there anything I can do? I don't understand what the problem is.

I'm guessing the missing objects gbpro is referencing are from one of the libraries the developer lists as required - they are not included in the gbpro download, I just grabbed it & looked.

So I believe you've got a problem with one of those - I don't see FF Library in your log so that's the place to start.

Thanks,

I've added the FF library but I thought it said R2 OR FF but maybe I misread it. Anyway, it still gives the same error plus a new box comes up stating that the gbpro may not work and may have to be removed? Looking at the number of downloads it must run ok for other people.

While I used the "Addon Manager" I will try extracting the gbpro manually to the custom folder and see if that makes any difference but any suggestions from anyone will be welcome! :) Just reattached latest log and ini file.

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ff_library/

Log.txt

Searching your computer for the filenames of the ones that can't be loaded will probably show they are there but one of the libraries isn't installed properly (like within an extra folder layer). I'm not at my sim computer so I can't look.

That won't fix the object errors though.

A lot of the ones referenced in the log I find in the "world-models-master" library on my system, some I don't have but I suspect I may have an older version of that library.

So look inside that library's folder - in addition to a bunch of subfolders you should see it's library.txt file in the top level folder. If it's not, that one isn't installed properly.

Thanks,

I've added the FF library but I thought it said R2 OR FF but maybe I misread it. Anyway, it still gives the same error plus a new box comes up stating that the gbpro may not work and may have to be removed? Looking at the number of downloads it must run ok for other people.

While I used the "Addon Manager" I will try extracting the gbpro manually to the custom folder and see if that makes any difference but any suggestions from anyone will be welcome! :) Just reattached latest log and ini file.

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ff_library/

SUCCESS!

Hi and many thanks to Brett and Gixxar. When I started to attempt my first ever 3rd party scenery download to X-plane 11 (only had X-plane a few weeks and was new to X-plane) I had never heard of the items such as OpenSceneryX, world Models etc let alone what I was supposed to do or indeed where they went and in what order, so it's been quite a steep learning curve. The problem however, was nothing to do with those items and was indeed due to the extraction of the compressed files of the gbpro scenery itself. I had used the Addon Manager program and then I tried the Windows extractor which resulted in a problem with encryption. I then tried the 7-Zip one from this website and it worked first time and the program now runs without any problems.

So a successful outcome and a lot learned in the process. I thought an explanation would be useful to know and the least I could do for your kind help and suggestions, so once again, many thanks to all.

Regards, Rod

• 1 year later...

hi any one know where im going wrong.im trying to install gbpro but cant seem to get it working as most of the scenery looks flat and plane bellow is my scenery ini file 

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/