HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcard519 View Post
Don’t know if it’s pickup up or dropping off :

National Cargo #860 (B744) has just filed a flight plan. It is scheduled to depart from Orlando Intl (MCO) at 11:45 EDT Friday (09 Sep) heading for Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Int'l (YOW) for an estimated arrival at 14:26 EDT Friday (09 Sep).
Here it is! Very impressive to see it landing on Runway 25 - currently parked north of the Canada Reception Centre.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:32 PM

Looks like it is a currency run. Off to PHNL tonight, and then I assume to Auckland like usual.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/CYOW/PHNL

Last edited by RomanR27; Sep 9, 2022 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 10:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Did you guys have an impromptu SSP meeting this afternoon, or what?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 1:16 PM

Today’s departure count: 58

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
Vegas has been tried…and tried…and tried. AC, WS, and F8. Ottawans voted either with cheapness or allegiance to Aeropesos or both. “Start the car!”

This is why I fear for prospects of Porter at YOW. They will probably try, Ottawans will probably screw it up.

If we end up with PD’s maintenance base, and all the jobs and new industry in the City that come with it, it’ll be a huge enough win in my book. I’ve got major hopes for network improvements, but those are tempered by experience observing people’s’ habits.
Exactly.
YOW only hope for sustainable network growth is a growing local market and leveraging a more seamless CNX experience vs YUL/YYZ/EWR.

YOWLAS 3x weekly (Fri, Sat, Sun) could work for PD. Run it Oct-Dec, Feb-May

LAX 4x weekly might work too but these stage lengths add a lot of costs that must command fare premiums.

There is no city like Ottawa where BMW drivers will double-connect to save $50 on fares. It's the absolute opposite mentality airlines need to make money and increase service

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo748 View Post
Exactly.
YOW only hope for sustainable network growth is a growing local market and leveraging a more seamless CNX experience vs YUL/YYZ/EWR.

YOWLAS 3x weekly (Fri, Sat, Sun) could work for PD. Run it Oct-Dec, Feb-May

LAX 4x weekly might work too but these stage lengths add a lot of costs that must command fare premiums.

There is no city like Ottawa where BMW drivers will double-connect to save $50 on fares. It's the absolute opposite mentality airlines need to make money and increase service
Hit the nail on the head. Never underestimate the impact of a weird culture here in Ottawa. Stably employed and wealthy people who drive 20 year old Volvos/Subarus and are endlessly cheap in my experience. Such a different vibe than Calgary where anyone making over 100k a year immediately buys a $100k car it seems!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
Looks like it is a currency run. Off to PHNL tonight, and then I assume to Auckland like usual.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/CYOW/PHNL

Great pics.

Final destination was RNZAF Base Ohakea, almost 18 hours of flying

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 1:47 PM

Today's departure count: 69

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 12:45 PM

Today's departure count: 61

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 12:13 AM

Latest rumblings

New hangar steel structure should be up by January with occupancy next fall. Complex fire suppression required so not as simple as throwing up a Costco.

When repairing the roof at the CRC post derecho major mold issues were discovered. The building is essentially condemned. Not sure what the plan is, but ideally demolished with a terminal expansion.

Flying club lease is up in Spring 2023, not sure what implications that would have with the city CIP and development at the north end.

Multiple sources have said huge plans are in motion and the airport as we know it will hopefully be completely different in the next 5-10 years.

Hopefully this is all going to happen, could be very exciting!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr99 View Post
New hangar steel structure should be up by January with occupancy next fall. Complex fire suppression required so not as simple as throwing up a Costco.

When repairing the roof at the CRC post derecho major mold issues were discovered. The building is essentially condemned. Not sure what the plan is, but ideally demolished with a terminal expansion.

Flying club lease is up in Spring 2023, not sure what implications that would have with the city CIP and development at the north end.

Multiple sources have said huge plans are in motion and the airport as we know it will hopefully be completely different in the next 5-10 years.

I can't imagine the flying club's going anywhere. Wasn't 04/22 repaved not that long ago?

Wednesday's departure count: 60

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I can't imagine the flying club's going anywhere. Wasn't 04/22 repaved not that long ago?
Runway 04-22 was rehabilitated in 2011, along with the removal of the former Runway 17-35 and the realignment of Taxiway P.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:18 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr99 View Post

The plan at one point at least was to demolish the CRC and extend the TB portion of the terminal. There’s hardly a need for that now but maybe Porter is the key here once again.

Assuming your comments about hangar are for the new “private” hangar, not the new reception centre?

I wonder if the airport has designs on improving Dom/Int’l->TB and Int’l->Dom connections as part of the “huge plans”. There’s currently no way to do this without going landside and redoing security.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYOW View Post
Runway 04-22 was rehabilitated in 2011, along with the removal of the former Runway 17-35 and the realignment of Taxiway P.
Wow time flies. Mind you 11 years is young for a general aviation runway.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:16 PM

Porter

From my source with Porter estimate launch for the E2 is the first week of December! Also, no news or routes scheduled for YOW this year! Person news is weeks away!
That’s all I can share for now!
I know bit disappointing right now!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
Porter

From my source with Porter estimate launch for the E2 is the first week of December! Also, no news or routes scheduled for YOW this year! Person news is weeks away!
It’s expected they will use their first few E2’s in YYZ, no one get disappointed please! We will have our turn of route announcements in due time. Anything you can tell us about their plans for YOW? Like if they are planning to make YOW a true hub? Probably not something you can share, but doesn’t hurt to ask haha.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
Porter

Even if this isn't YOW news, at this point I think a lot of us are invested in Porter rolling out the new planes and succeeding, in the hope that success anywhere with its expansion plans will hopefully help support the part of its plan that involves Ottawa.

If this is a cautious, gradual approach that gets us a successful Porter hub in Ottawa, we can manage to be patient for a while

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 10:40 PM

Today’s departure count: 61

Today’s cancellation count:2

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:45 AM

Had mid-Nov YOWFLL nonstop flights booked. Received notice from AC. Looks like theyve scrapped those for a while. Sigh.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo748 View Post
Had mid-Nov YOWFLL nonstop flights booked. Received notice from AC. Looks like theyve scrapped those for a while. Sigh.
That's unfortunate. Did you have it booked for travel on Wednesday? It seems like they removed Wednesday from their planned schedule. Currently only flying on days 156 (Monday, Friday, Saturday). They had filed 1357 (M, W, F, Sat) previously. All on Rouge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation